Instrumental error and statistical error

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring angles using a spectrometer with a resolution of 1'. The uncertainty due to the instrument is calculated to be 0.02357 deg. The mean of multiple angle measurements is 60 deg with a standard deviation of the mean of 0.0173 deg. The final uncertainty of the measure is debated, with some suggesting the sum of squares of the statistical and instrument uncertainties, while others suggest only considering the instrument uncertainty. The NIST paper recommends considering both uncertainties and summing their squares for the final uncertainty.
gnegnegne
In a lab experiment we had to measure some angles. Every angle measure is the difference between two angular positions and the instrument we used had a resolution of 1', so the uncertainty due to the instrument is $$\sigma_{instr}=\sqrt2'=0.02357... deg$$.
We measured the same angle a few times and we obtained values such as $$\theta_1=60.03 deg, \theta_2=60.00 deg, \theta_3=59.97 deg$$
The mean is 60 deg and the standard deviation of the mean is $$\sigma_{stat}=0.0173... deg$$.

What should I consider as the final uncertainty of the measure? The highest uncertainty? Or the sum of squares? I would consider the sum of squares because the uncertainties are independent, but our professor told us that the highest includes the other, and I haven't really understood why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello gne3, :welcome:

Suppose you had three observations of something, namely: -1, 0 and 1, and the extra bit of information is that the resolution of the measuring device was 0.5 . What would you report as your result ?

There are a lot of comments to be made on this:
  • basically the resolution of an instrument is something quite different from its accuracy
  • the statistics of error estimation tell you the estimated error in the error estimate is enormous for just a few observations :smile:
  • The values you obtained were NOT like 60.03 deg but like ##60^\circ 2'## etcetera. The 60.03 is a calculated value.

Hi, thank you very much!
Well, the mean is 0 and the standard deviation of the mean is 0.5773... (devstd/sqrt(3)) . I would consider as the total uncertainty $$\sqrt{0.5773^2+0.5^2}=0.76376...$$ Therefore as my result I would report $$0.0 \pm 0.8$$. However I'm not sure whether the standard deviation and the resolution should be summed.

In some situations it's pretty obvious: when I use a chronometer the instrument uncertainty is irrelevant. Vice versa when I use a ruler in a standard situation I will always measure the same quantity, the standard deviation would be 0 (but that doesn't mean that my measure has no uncertainty, I'd use the instrument uncertainty).
My situation however is in the middle: the order of magnitude of the SDOM and the instrument resolution are comparable.

A (cheap) ##3\;\scriptsize {1/2}## digital multimeter may have a resolution of 1 mV but the accuracy can be only 1%, so that 1.302 V becomes 1.302 ##\pm## 0.013 V, or (imho better): 1.30 ##\pm## 0.01 V.
(see what http://www.d.umn.edu/~snorr/ece2006f7/Lab1.pdf write about the error reporting)

Your angle measurement device may be analog with a vernier scale -- I wondered why your measurements were even minutes --
and then the 1' is rather optimistic

Your estimate (0.017 deg) of the standard deviation carries a relative uncertainty of ##1/\sqrt 3## (or worse), so you should report ## 60.00 \pm 0.02## degrees.

And we are back to your original question: is the resolution error included in the estimate of the standard deviation as calculated from the sample of observations. I'd be inclined to say yes (with some reservations -- depending on the type of measurement, the equipment, the noise, the circumstances, ...): the resolution is a random contribution to the scatter in the observations.

gnegnegne said:
I would consider as the total uncertainty $$\sqrt{0.5773^2+0.5^2}=0.76376...$$ Therefore as my result I would report $$0.0 \pm 0.8$$. However I'm not sure whether the standard deviation and the resolution should be summed.
This is the correct procedure. The definitive reference for error handling is the NIST paper:

https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/05/09/tn1297s.pdf

Likes WWGD and BvU
Thanks for both the answers! Yes, we used a spectrometer with a nonius to measure the angles. I understand your explanation, however my problem isn't the estimation of the instrument error, which of course it's pretty rough. The problem is what do I have to do once I have a statistical standard deviation and an uncertainty due to the instrument, and the NIST paper seems clear to me: you have to consider both the "statistical uncertainty" and the "instrument uncertainty", summing their squares. Thanks for your help!

Likes Dale
gnegnegne said:
and the NIST paper seems clear to me: you have to consider both the "statistical uncertainty" and the "instrument uncertainty", summing their squares.
Yes, and they give some good hints about how to figure out the non statistical uncertainty also.

What is instrumental error and statistical error?

Instrumental error refers to the error or uncertainty introduced by the measuring instrument or equipment used in an experiment. Statistical error, on the other hand, refers to the random variability or uncertainty in the data collected due to chance or sampling error.

What causes instrumental error and statistical error?

Instrumental error can be caused by a variety of factors such as equipment malfunction, human error, environmental conditions, and calibration errors. Statistical error is caused by the inherent variability in the data and can be influenced by sample size, sampling methods, and data collection techniques.

How are instrumental error and statistical error calculated?

Instrumental error can be calculated by comparing the measured value to the true value or a known standard. Statistical error can be calculated by using statistical methods such as standard deviation, confidence intervals, and hypothesis testing.

What are the effects of instrumental error and statistical error on scientific experiments?

Instrumental error can lead to inaccurate measurements and affect the validity and reliability of the experiment. Statistical error can lead to incorrect conclusions and affect the generalizability of the results.

How can instrumental error and statistical error be minimized?

To minimize instrumental error, it is important to use calibrated and well-maintained equipment, follow proper measurement techniques, and conduct multiple measurements. To minimize statistical error, it is important to increase sample size, use appropriate sampling methods, and ensure data collection is done accurately and consistently.