Insulator/Conductor Question with picture

• Thread starter swooshfactory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram representing points of equal electric potential and the projected equipotential line. There is confusion about the behavior of electric field lines around an insulator and a large conductor in the middle. The potential effect of the insulator on the field is also questioned. The conversation also mentions that the diagram was created for lab work and may not be precise.
swooshfactory

Homework Statement

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc95/warrenm_2007/elec.jpg

Here is the problem: The red dots represent points of equal electric potential and the gray haze is the projected equipotential line. I am unsure about what happens to the electric field lines as they encounter the insulator and around the large conductor in the middle. If anyone could explain to me what is happening there, I would appreciate it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I would think that the insulator stops the electric field and that it does not transmit to the other side. It would I believe stop the electric field and given that there is no source for an electric field on the other side, I don't see why it would continue.

Around the large conductor in the middle, I would think that the electric field lines are feeding into the conductor unless they can go up the middle or around it to continue to the other side.

Also: does the insulator affect the field at all? The one point I have on the surface of the insulator looks a little fishy.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram looks a little confusing. Is this the result of lab work, a drawing you made to better understand things, or is it something else? Are all of the red dots supposed to have the same potential, or just those along the same gray hazy line?

Electric field lines are always perpendicular to conductors. This is because if the electric field was running sideways along the surface, this would move charges, and a split second later when those charges have reached their destination and everything was in equilibrium there would no longer be a sideways (transverse) component to the E-field. For an insulator, things are more complicated. Now, equipotential lines should be perpendicular to the E-field lines, so if we have a circular conductor the equipotential lines close to the conductor should be circular. Of course, if this is lab work it may not be that precise.

i guess it seemed more clear to me. all the red dots in a grey haze line were equipotential. it was for lab work, i replicated my data with paint. i already got the report turned in, so i don't still need help. thanks for replying though.

What is the difference between an insulator and a conductor?

An insulator is a material that does not allow electricity to flow through it easily, while a conductor is a material that allows electricity to flow through it easily.

How can you tell if a material is an insulator or a conductor?

One way to tell is by testing the material's ability to conduct electricity. If it allows electricity to flow through it easily, it is a conductor. If it blocks the flow of electricity, it is an insulator.

Why are some materials better insulators than others?

The atomic structure of a material plays a significant role in its ability to conduct or insulate electricity. Materials with tightly bound electrons, such as rubber and plastic, make good insulators because they do not allow electricity to flow through them easily. In contrast, materials with loosely bound electrons, such as metals, make good conductors because they allow electricity to flow through them easily.

What are some examples of insulators and conductors?

Some common examples of insulators include rubber, plastic, glass, and wood. Some common examples of conductors include copper, aluminum, gold, and silver.

Can a material be both an insulator and a conductor?

Yes, some materials can act as both insulators and conductors depending on various factors such as temperature and voltage. For example, rubber is generally an insulator, but at high temperatures, it can start to conduct electricity.