1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Integer solutions for equations

1. Jul 6, 2017 #1
    I am trying to understand how to find solutions for a problem when parameters are limited to positive integers.
    Example:
    30x+19= 7y+1 =a ; where x,y,a are positive integers

Wolframalpha outputs:
    a = 210 n + 169, x = 7 n + 5, y = 30 n + 24, n element Z(integers)

30*7= 210 (obviously)
    How do I calculate 169? I can do it by hand, but am likely missing something obvious generating a universal equation.

I am trying to find a formula to solve for C5 below:
    (C1 * X) +C2 = (C3*Y) + C4 = (C1*C3*n) +C5 ; where C1,C2,C3,C4 are constants and X,Y,n are the set of positive integers. Looking for a formula for smallest integer solution C5

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2017 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

The existence is a result of the Chinese remainder theorem, and with the formulas there you can also construct the smallest solution.

##30x+19=a## can be interpreted as ##a=19 \pmod{30}##.

4. Jul 6, 2017 #3
    MFB: Thanks for the link.
    I forgot to specify, coefficients (C1&C3) of x and y are also defined as co-prime.

This is a small part of a (non-school) prime number related summer project I am working on with my 13&16 year old and we trying no to get bogged down on this equation. If it does not a have a formula solution for C5 (above), we may need to move onto a different path.

5. Jul 6, 2017 #4

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is an algorithm to find it. It is not directly a nice closed formula.

6. Jul 7, 2017 #5
    MFB: It seems not too complex of an algorithm if limited to 2 equations. We may be able to use it and define the bounds needed.
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted