Integer solutions for equations

• B
  • Thread starter 69911e
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the conversation discussed finding solutions for a problem with limited parameters of positive integers, specifically focusing on the equation 30x+19= a and the formula for solving C5 in the equation (C1*X)+C2= (C3*Y)+C4= (C1*C3*n)+C5. The conversation mentioned using Wolframalpha and the Chinese remainder theorem to find solutions, as well as discussing an algorithm for finding C5. The speakers were working on a summer project related to prime numbers and were looking for a solution that did not require a complex algorithm.
69911e
I am trying to understand how to find solutions for a problem when parameters are limited to positive integers.
Example:
30x+19= 7y+1 =a ; where x,y,a are positive integers

Wolframalpha outputs:
a = 210 n + 169, x = 7 n + 5, y = 30 n + 24, n element Z(integers)

30*7= 210 (obviously)
How do I calculate 169? I can do it by hand, but am likely missing something obvious generating a universal equation.

I am trying to find a formula to solve for C5 below:
(C1 * X) +C2 = (C3*Y) + C4 = (C1*C3*n) +C5 ; where C1,C2,C3,C4 are constants and X,Y,n are the set of positive integers. Looking for a formula for smallest integer solution C5

Any suggestions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The existence is a result of the Chinese remainder theorem, and with the formulas there you can also construct the smallest solution.

##30x+19=a## can be interpreted as ##a=19 \pmod{30}##.

MFB: Thanks for the link.
I forgot to specify, coefficients (C1&C3) of x and y are also defined as co-prime.

This is a small part of a (non-school) prime number related summer project I am working on with my 13&16 year old and we trying no to get bogged down on this equation. If it does not a have a formula solution for C5 (above), we may need to move onto a different path.

There is an algorithm to find it. It is not directly a nice closed formula.

MFB: It seems not too complex of an algorithm if limited to 2 equations. We may be able to use it and define the bounds needed.
Thanks

1. What are integer solutions for equations?

Integer solutions for equations refer to the values of variables in an equation that yield a whole number answer. These solutions must satisfy the equation and result in a whole number when substituted into the equation.

2. How do you find integer solutions for equations?

To find integer solutions for equations, you can use techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and then solving for the integer value that satisfies the equation.

3. Can any equation have integer solutions?

No, not all equations have integer solutions. Some equations may only have non-integer solutions, and others may have no solution at all. The type of solutions an equation has depends on its variables and coefficients.

4. Why are integer solutions important?

Integer solutions are important because they help us solve real-world problems and model situations accurately. In many cases, the solutions to equations represent quantities that must be whole numbers, making integer solutions necessary.

5. Are there strategies for finding integer solutions?

Yes, there are strategies for finding integer solutions, such as using the properties of numbers, trial and error, and using patterns in the equation. Additionally, understanding the properties of equations and how to manipulate them can help in finding integer solutions.