Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Calculus vs Topology vs ODE

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    I'm a Physics/Math major- and am setting up my degree plan
    I've posted a similar thread before but now I only have one math elective left (and a boatload of choices, all of which sound interesting)
    I've narrowed it down to either:

Integral Calculus, Topology, or Theory of Ordinary Differential Equations

I plan to pursue physics after my BS, so which one of these would be the most beneficial??

This is the rest of my schedule:

Calculus I, II, III
    Linear Algebra
    Abstract Algebra
    Differential Equations
    Partial Differential Equations
    Advanced Multivariable Calculus
    Intermediate Analysis
    Complex Analysis
    Vector Analysis
    Differential Geometry I, II

Physics I, II (+ Labs)
    Modern Physics I, II (+ Labs)
    Seminar in Laboratory Analysis
    Intermediate Mechanics
    Modern Optics (+Lab)
    Thermal Physics
    Intermediate Electromagnetic Theory I, II
    Computational Physics
    Particle Physics

Thanks! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2
    Well from the looks of your schedule, it looks like you will already be covering all your choices in your other classes. Topology probably the least of all I would guess, but I'm not that familiar with the subject.

If your doing physics, you already are going to be using so much calculus and differential equations, it doesn't really seem practical to take more courses in that area, unless you want too to boost your GPA.

Also depends on what you want to study after undergrad. I have heard topology is quite hard though, and I doubt it is that related in most areas of physics. I'm sure you will have a better idea of what you want to take by the time your ready to take those classes.

Also...no quantum mechanics? I know you may cover some of that in particle physics, but usually most undergrads have to take year of quantum. If thats an option, then I would definitely choose that over another math class.

4. May 4, 2010 #3
    Modern Physics I and II will cover QM along with Relativity (there is no stand alone QM class :frown:)

Also, DE and PDE are required for a physics major so I have no choice.

I need another math class for my math major so I can't replace it with a physics course.

5. May 4, 2010 #4
    Another class that looks interesting is Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook