Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral form of momentum equation

1. Jun 25, 2016 #1
    Hello guys!
    can i get the derivation for this equation ?

upload_2016-6-25_16-1-0.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2016 #2
    I think the first term should be a partial derivative with respect to time t (not x), and represents the rate of accumulation of x-momentum within the control volume. The second term represents the net rate of x-momentum leaving the control volume.

4. Jun 25, 2016 #3
    yes sir as you said the 1st term should be the partial derivative with respect to time but i don't know why our teacher in the fluid class wrote the equation in this form, and it was not a mistake because he used it again and again, can you explain the logic behind it as he is a very senior teacher and he wouldn't make such a silly mistake

5. Jun 25, 2016 #4
    I stand by what I said. I can't account for what your teacher does. All I can do is confidence in what I am saying.

My questions for you are:

1. How does his equation account for the time rate of accumulation of x momentum within the control volume?

2. When he writes the corresponding equation for the conservation of mass within the control volume, does his equation have a partial derivative with respect to x or a partial derivative with respect to t?

6. Jun 25, 2016 #5
    Here's a couple of more questions for you:

1. What are the units of the term as your teacher has written it?

2. Are those units of force?

7. Jun 27, 2016 #6
    So.... What are your answers to my questions?

8. Jun 28, 2016 #7
    sorry i asked him and he said its partial by partial t and not x his writing style is different so i mistakenly wrote it as partial by partial x

9. Jun 28, 2016 #8
    No problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted