Integral form of momentum equation

In summary, the first term in the equation represents the rate of accumulation of x-momentum within the control volume, and the second term represents the net rate of x-momentum leaving the control volume.
Ali Durrani
Hello guys!
can i get the derivation for this equation ?

upload_2016-6-25_16-1-0.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the first term should be a partial derivative with respect to time t (not x), and represents the rate of accumulation of x-momentum within the control volume. The second term represents the net rate of x-momentum leaving the control volume.

Likes Delta2
Chestermiller said:
I think the first term should be a partial derivative with respect to time t (not x), and represents the rate of accumulation of x-momentum within the control volume. The second term represents the net rate of x-momentum leaving the control volume.
yes sir as you said the 1st term should be the partial derivative with respect to time but i don't know why our teacher in the fluid class wrote the equation in this form, and it was not a mistake because he used it again and again, can you explain the logic behind it as he is a very senior teacher and he wouldn't make such a silly mistake

Ali Durrani said:
yes sir as you said the 1st term should be the partial derivative with respect to time but i don't know why our teacher in the fluid class wrote the equation in this form, and it was not a mistake because he used it again and again, can you explain the logic behind it as he is a very senior teacher and he wouldn't make such a silly mistake
I stand by what I said. I can't account for what your teacher does. All I can do is confidence in what I am saying.

My questions for you are:

1. How does his equation account for the time rate of accumulation of x momentum within the control volume?

2. When he writes the corresponding equation for the conservation of mass within the control volume, does his equation have a partial derivative with respect to x or a partial derivative with respect to t?

Here's a couple of more questions for you:

1. What are the units of the term as your teacher has written it?

2. Are those units of force?

So... What are your answers to my questions?

sorry i asked him and he said its partial by partial t and not x his writing style is different so i mistakenly wrote it as partial by partial x

Likes Chestermiller
Ali Durrani said:
sorry i asked him and he said its partial by partial t and not x his writing style is different so i mistakenly wrote it as partial by partial x
No problem.

1. What is the integral form of the momentum equation?

The integral form of the momentum equation is a mathematical representation of the conservation of momentum in a fluid system. It takes into account the change in momentum within a control volume over time.

2. How is the integral form of the momentum equation different from the differential form?

The differential form of the momentum equation is based on the local properties of a fluid, while the integral form considers the overall behavior of a fluid within a control volume. The integral form is derived by integrating the differential form over the control volume.

3. What are the terms in the integral form of the momentum equation?

The integral form of the momentum equation includes terms for the convective flux, pressure forces, body forces, and viscous forces. These terms represent the different mechanisms by which momentum can be transferred in a fluid system.

4. How is the integral form of the momentum equation used in practical applications?

The integral form of the momentum equation is used in various engineering and scientific fields, such as fluid mechanics and aerodynamics, to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in different scenarios. It can be solved numerically using computational fluid dynamics methods to obtain valuable insights and make predictions about fluid flow.

5. What are the assumptions made in the integral form of the momentum equation?

The integral form of the momentum equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, the control volume is stationary, and there are no external forces acting on the control volume. It also assumes that the fluid properties are constant within the control volume and there are no sharp variations in the flow field.