1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interaction of Two Spin 1/2 Particles

1. Dec 13, 2015 #1
    Hi buddies.

I recently finished my quantum mechanics course, however, I would like to know the solution of this exercise because i couldn´t solve it on my last exam, and i would like to take this doubt off.

An operator ##F## describing the interaction of two spin ##\frac{1}{2}## particles has the form:
    ##F=c+d {\sigma}_{1}\cdot{\sigma}_{2}##
    where ##c## and ##d## are constants, ##{\sigma}_{1}## and ##{\sigma}_{2}##are Pauli matrices of the spin.
    Prove that ##F## , ##j^2## and ##{j}_{z}## can be meassure simultaneusly.
    Where ##j## is the total angular momentum; also you must consider that
    ##{\sigma}_{1}\neq{\sigma}_{2}##.

I had the idea to check that operators ##F## with ##j^2## and ##F## with ##{j}_{z}## Commute to conclude that the observable can be measured simultaneously. But I'm not sure if that's okay, and i don't know how to do it because ##{\sigma}_{1}\neq{\sigma}_{2}##.

I'll appreciate your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the right direction, because if those observables are commute to each other, a measurement of one observable will not alter the measurement result from the previously measured observable. Therefore the three observables can be measured in a single series of measurement without the need to repeat the procedure for measurement of each obseravble.
    The individual spin operator is proportional to the corresponding Pauli matrix, therefore you can write for ##F##, ##F = c +d'\mathbf{j}_1 \cdot \mathbf{j}_2## where ##d'## is another constant. Then consider ## j^2 = (\mathbf{j}_1 + \mathbf{j}_2)^2##, from this pull the resulting ##\mathbf{j}_1 \cdot \mathbf{j}_2## to one side alone and plug in to ##F##.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted