Integrate source terms for test EM field in Kerr spacetime

Nitacii
Homework Statement
Calculate the source term ##^2J_{lm}## while knowing by integrating the known quantities.
Relevant Equations
$$ ^2J_{lm}(r) = \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \frac{(r- i a \cos \theta)^2}{(r_+ - r_-)^2} \Sigma \ J_2 \;{}_{-1}\overline{Y}_{lm} \sin \theta d\theta d \phi$$
Hello, the Homework Statement is quite long, since it includes a lot of equations so I will rather post the as images as to prevent mistypes.

We need to find the integral
1696784403607.png

where
1696784412160.png

with

$$
J_m =(\sqrt{2}(r−ia\cos⁡θ))^{−1} i(r^2+a^2)\sin⁡(θ)j,
$$

$$
J_n = - \frac{a \Delta}{ 2 \Sigma} \sin(\theta )^2 j,
$$

$$
j = C \delta(r-r_0) \delta(\theta-\pi /2),
$$

where δ is the dirac delta function and with
$$
\Delta = r^2 - 2 M r + a^2
$$

$$
\Sigma = r^2 + a^2 \cos(\theta)^2
$$Finally ##(r_+,r_-,r_0,C,a,M)## are constant and ## {}_{-1}\overline{Y}_{l,m} = {}_{-1}\overline{Y}_{l,m}(\theta,\phi) ## are the Spin-Weighted Spherical harmonics.

We were also given the article Stationary electromagnetic fields around black holes. II. I understand that not everyone has access to it. But I've provided everything necessary here.

Since the calculation are very long I've prepared a Mathematica notebook. Which I've attached as pdf and is also (with working Mathematica notebook) at https://github.com/Zlabekma/homework.git).

Anyway, I don't finish the calculation there because my integrated source term is at least cubic in the variable ##r## but the one in the article is only quadratic in ##r##.
To be more specific in the article they state that ##{}^2J_{lm} \propto \Delta##
Comments on how to improve this post are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• HomeworkIntegration.pdf
    86 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For clarity I finished the calculation using rules for Spin-Weighted Spherical harmonics and corrected a typo. I've modified the notebook and the pdf. But the problem of course remains.

Attachments

• HomeworkIntegration.pdf
    96.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

1. What is meant by "Integrate source terms for test EM field in Kerr spacetime"?

Integrating source terms for a test electromagnetic field in Kerr spacetime involves calculating the effects of electromagnetic sources on the field within the framework of Kerr spacetime, which describes the gravitational field around a rotating black hole.

2. What are source terms in the context of electromagnetic fields?

Source terms refer to the components of an equation that represent the sources of a field. In the case of electromagnetic fields, source terms typically include charges and currents that generate the electromagnetic field.

3. How does Kerr spacetime impact the integration of source terms for the test EM field?

Kerr spacetime introduces the effects of the rotating black hole's gravitational field on the electromagnetic field, which can significantly alter the behavior of the field compared to flat spacetime. Integrating source terms in Kerr spacetime accounts for these gravitational effects.

4. What are the applications of integrating source terms for test EM field in Kerr spacetime?

Integrating source terms in Kerr spacetime is crucial for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in the vicinity of rotating black holes, which has implications for astrophysical phenomena such as accretion disks and jets. It also plays a role in testing the predictions of general relativity in extreme gravitational environments.

5. What challenges are involved in integrating source terms for test EM field in Kerr spacetime?

One of the main challenges is the complexity of the Kerr spacetime metric and the nonlinear nature of the equations governing electromagnetic fields in curved spacetime. This complexity can make the integration of source terms computationally intensive and require sophisticated numerical techniques.