Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interaction picture equation from Heisenberg equation

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    The standard Heisenberg picture equation of motion is $$i\hbar\frac d{dt}A_H=[A_H,H],$$ assuming no explicit ##t##-dependence on the Heisenberg-picture operator ##A_H##. I've been trying to go directly from this equation to the corresponding interaction-picture equation, $$i\hbar\frac d{dt}A_I=[A_I,H_0],$$ (see Sakurai 5.5.12) which I thought at first would be simple, but I keep coming up with $$i\hbar\frac d{dt}A_I=[A_I,H_0]+[A_I,V_I],$$ where ##V_I## is the interaction part of the hamiltonian in the interaction picture. The basic problem is that in the original equation ##H## contains both ##H_0## and ##V## and I don't know how to get rid of the ##V## part. Has anyone been through this calculation?

Thanks!

P.S. I know I could just start with ##A_I(t)=e^{iH_0t/\hbar}A_Se^{-iH_0t/\hbar}##, where ##A_S## is in the Schrodinger picture, and I can derive the equation this way, but I feel like it should work the other way too.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Could you please show your derivation?

4. Jan 23, 2015 #3
    I start with $$i\hbar\frac{}d{dt}A_H(t)=[A_H(t),H_H(t)]$$ (subscript means Heisenberg picture) and plug in ##A_H(t)=e^{iH_St/\hbar}A_Se^{-iH_St/\hbar}## and ##H_H(t)=e^{iH_St/\hbar}H_Se^{-iH_St/\hbar}##. (I then replace ##H_S=H_{0,S}+V_S## everywhere and transform both sides of the original Heisenberg equation using $$i\hbar\frac{}d{dt}e^{-iV_St/\hbar}A_H(t)e^{iV_St/\hbar}=e^{-iV_St/\hbar}[A_H(t),H_H(t)]e^{iV_St/\hbar}.$$ Simplify and I'm left with $$i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}A_I(t)=A_I(t)e^{iH_{0,S}t/\hbar}H_Se^{-iH_{0,S}t/\hbar}-e^{iH_{0,S}t/\hbar}H_Se^{-iH_{0,S}t/\hbar}A_I(t),$$ but ##H_S\neq H_{0,S}##. If it did I would be done. Instead it's ##H_S=H_{0,S}+V_S##. This is where I get stuck.

5. Jan 23, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I guess this is where it doesn't work. Since ##[H_0, V] \neq 0##, ##e^{i (H_0 + V) t/ \hbar} \neq e^{i H_0 t/ \hbar} e^{i V t/ \hbar}##.

6. Jan 23, 2015 #5
    Ah, interesting! Thanks for pointing that out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook