Interdisciplinary Physics Sub-Forum?

• Thread starter ^_^physicist
  • Start date
In summary, Daniel was asking where to post a topic that bridged all three subjects. He was pointing out that General Physics is not the right forum for this.
^_^physicist
I have been hanging around the site for awhile, and I noticed their is no place for the inter-discipline portions of physics such as: Atmospheric, Biophysics, and Physical-Chemistry?

I understand these aren't "pure" physics topics, but they do fit under physics still, so why don't we have a forum for these?

Physics news on Phys.org
^_^physicist said:
I understand these aren't "pure" physics topics, but they do fit under physics still, so why don't we have a forum for these?

Because we would rather not have hundreds of half used forums

Anything that doesn't fit easily within any of the more specific forums, or that crosses disciplines, can be discussed under "General Physics." :smile:

^_^physicist said:
I have been hanging around the site for awhile, and I noticed their is no place for the inter-discipline portions of physics such as: Atmospheric, Biophysics, and Physical-Chemistry?
All these subtopics have very appropriate homes here, in the following forums:
Atmospheric sciences -> Earth Science
Biophysics -> (soft) Condensed Matter (or Biology, depending on context)
Physical Chemistry -> Chemistry

Plus if the physicists get their "interdisciplinary forum", the engineers would want one too! :approve:

Gokul43201 said:
All these subtopics have very appropriate homes here, in the following forums:
Atmospheric sciences -> Earth Science
Biophysics -> (soft) Condensed Matter (or Biology, depending on context)
Physical Chemistry -> Chemistry

I thought he was asking where to post a topic that bridged all three subjects.

I thought he was asking where to post a topic that bridged all three subjects.

Its a little bit of both; however, it would be nice if the proper sub-forums (already discussed) had this as part of their discription, it would make it much easier to decide where to post questions.

Additionally, I think my question was a little misinterpreted. I was thinking about just having a broad "interdisiplinary" sub-forum. Yes, we have forums that cover little tid-bits of each, and general should cover a good deal of this. But general physics is not going to deal with a problem that involves Biological stucture issues, atmospheric issues, physical issues, and/or modeling issues, on a broad scale.

I am requesting, or pointing out (depending on how exactly you would approach answering my question) where would you post questions like this? Or do we need a place to put these questions?

Thanks for your replys (and I know I am new and this does not follow proper edacite (spelling is not my friend today) but it was kind of bugging me).

^_^physicist said:
I am requesting, or pointing out (depending on how exactly you would approach answering my question) where would you post questions like this? Or do we need a place to put these questions?

Just post in a forum and put a note that you're not sure where it should go because of so-and-so. The mentor will check it and move it if there is a more appropriate forum. We all realize that in some cases, it is rather vague to choose one over the other, or that there isn't a clear forum where something should go.

In any case, not knowing exactly where to post something isn't a valid reason to have a forum dedicated to it.

Zz.

You go ahead and post questions/issues frome these "interdisciplinary matters" in General Physics subforum and,if one of the mods considers it's unappropriate there, he/she will move it and of course you'll have to recover it by using the "User CP" link to it, if you can't find it by yourself.

Daniel.

1. What is interdisciplinary physics?

Interdisciplinary physics is a branch of physics that integrates concepts and methods from multiple fields, such as biology, chemistry, and engineering, to solve complex problems and gain a deeper understanding of the physical world. It encourages collaboration and cross-pollination of ideas between different disciplines.

2. How is interdisciplinary physics different from traditional physics?

Traditional physics focuses on studying the fundamental principles and laws of nature within one specific field, while interdisciplinary physics combines knowledge and techniques from various fields to address complex problems. It also requires a more diverse skillset and a broader perspective.

3. What are some examples of interdisciplinary physics research?

Some examples of interdisciplinary physics research include biophysics, which applies physics principles to study biological systems, and materials science, which combines physics, chemistry, and engineering to develop new materials with specific properties. Other examples include astrophysics, geophysics, and quantum information science.

4. Is interdisciplinary physics a growing field?

Yes, interdisciplinary physics is a rapidly growing field. As technology advances and scientific problems become more complex, the need for interdisciplinary approaches becomes more prevalent. Many universities and research institutions are also investing in interdisciplinary programs and departments.

5. What are the benefits of interdisciplinary physics?

Interdisciplinary physics allows for a more holistic understanding of complex systems, as well as the development of innovative solutions to real-world problems. It also fosters collaboration and encourages the exchange of ideas between different disciplines, leading to new discoveries and advancements in science and technology.