Interdisciplinary Physics Sub-Forum?

I have been hanging around the site for awhile, and I noticed their is no place for the inter-discipline portions of physics such as: Atmospheric, Biophysics, and Physical-Chemistry?

I understand these aren't "pure" physics topics, but they do fit under physics still, so why don't we have a forum for these?

Answers and Replies

I understand these aren't "pure" physics topics, but they do fit under physics still, so why don't we have a forum for these?
Because we would rather not have hundreds of half used forums

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anything that doesn't fit easily within any of the more specific forums, or that crosses disciplines, can be discussed under "General Physics." :smile:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have been hanging around the site for awhile, and I noticed their is no place for the inter-discipline portions of physics such as: Atmospheric, Biophysics, and Physical-Chemistry?
All these subtopics have very appropriate homes here, in the following forums:
Atmospheric sciences -> Earth Science
Biophysics -> (soft) Condensed Matter (or Biology, depending on context)
Physical Chemistry -> Chemistry

Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Plus if the physicists get their "interdisciplinary forum", the engineers would want one too! :approve:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
All these subtopics have very appropriate homes here, in the following forums:
Atmospheric sciences -> Earth Science
Biophysics -> (soft) Condensed Matter (or Biology, depending on context)
Physical Chemistry -> Chemistry
I thought he was asking where to post a topic that bridged all three subjects.

I thought he was asking where to post a topic that bridged all three subjects.
Its a little bit of both; however, it would be nice if the proper sub-forums (already discussed) had this as part of their discription, it would make it much easier to decide where to post questions.

Additionally, I think my question was a little misinterpreted. I was thinking about just having a broad "interdisiplinary" sub-forum. Yes, we have forums that cover little tid-bits of each, and general should cover a good deal of this. But general physics is not going to deal with a problem that involves Biological stucture issues, atmospheric issues, physical issues, and/or modeling issues, on a broad scale.

I am requesting, or pointing out (depending on how exactly you would approach answering my question) where would you post questions like this? Or do we need a place to put these questions?

Thanks for your replys (and I know I am new and this does not follow proper edacite (spelling is not my friend today) but it was kind of bugging me).

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I am requesting, or pointing out (depending on how exactly you would approach answering my question) where would you post questions like this? Or do we need a place to put these questions?
Just post in a forum and put a note that you're not sure where it should go because of so-and-so. The mentor will check it and move it if there is a more appropriate forum. We all realize that in some cases, it is rather vague to choose one over the other, or that there isn't a clear forum where something should go.

In any case, not knowing exactly where to post something isn't a valid reason to have a forum dedicated to it.

Zz.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
You go ahead and post questions/issues frome these "interdisciplinary matters" in General Physics subforum and,if one of the mods considers it's unappropriate there, he/she will move it and of course you'll have to recover it by using the "User CP" link to it, if you can't find it by yourself.

Daniel.