Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interdisciplinary Physics Sub-Forum?

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    I have been hanging around the site for awhile, and I noticed their is no place for the inter-discipline portions of physics such as: Atmospheric, Biophysics, and Physical-Chemistry?

I understand these aren't "pure" physics topics, but they do fit under physics still, so why don't we have a forum for these?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2
    Because we would rather not have hundreds of half used forums

4. Nov 29, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anything that doesn't fit easily within any of the more specific forums, or that crosses disciplines, can be discussed under "General Physics." :smile:

5. Nov 29, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All these subtopics have very appropriate homes here, in the following forums:
    Atmospheric sciences -> Earth Science
    Biophysics -> (soft) Condensed Matter (or Biology, depending on context)
    Physical Chemistry -> Chemistry

6. Nov 29, 2006 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Plus if the physicists get their "interdisciplinary forum", the engineers would want one too! :approve:

7. Nov 29, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought he was asking where to post a topic that bridged all three subjects.

8. Nov 29, 2006 #7
    Its a little bit of both; however, it would be nice if the proper sub-forums (already discussed) had this as part of their discription, it would make it much easier to decide where to post questions.

Additionally, I think my question was a little misinterpreted. I was thinking about just having a broad "interdisiplinary" sub-forum. Yes, we have forums that cover little tid-bits of each, and general should cover a good deal of this. But general physics is not going to deal with a problem that involves Biological stucture issues, atmospheric issues, physical issues, and/or modeling issues, on a broad scale.

I am requesting, or pointing out (depending on how exactly you would approach answering my question) where would you post questions like this? Or do we need a place to put these questions?

Thanks for your replys (and I know I am new and this does not follow proper edacite (spelling is not my friend today) but it was kind of bugging me).

9. Nov 29, 2006 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Just post in a forum and put a note that you're not sure where it should go because of so-and-so. The mentor will check it and move it if there is a more appropriate forum. We all realize that in some cases, it is rather vague to choose one over the other, or that there isn't a clear forum where something should go.

In any case, not knowing exactly where to post something isn't a valid reason to have a forum dedicated to it.

Zz.

10. Nov 29, 2006 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You go ahead and post questions/issues frome these "interdisciplinary matters" in General Physics subforum and,if one of the mods considers it's unappropriate there, he/she will move it and of course you'll have to recover it by using the "User CP" link to it, if you can't find it by yourself.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?