Is there a way to bookmark threads on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter demon
  • Start date
In summary, the bookmark button is available as a gold membership perk, but the "watch thread" option is much more useful.
demon
Hi all,
I'm very new to Physics Forums and I'm still finding my way around.
In the two or so days I've been a member I have found several threads that I'd like to come back to at some point.
Is there a way of bookmarking threads within my PF profile? or is bookmarking in my browser the only way of doing so?
Thanks in advance
Demon

Physics news on Phys.org
demon said:
Hi all,
I'm very new to Physics Forums and I'm still finding my way around.
In the two or so days I've been a member I have found several threads that I'd like to come back to at some point.
Is there a way of bookmarking threads within my PF profile? or is bookmarking in my browser the only way of doing so?
Thanks in advance
Demon
Uh ... the "bookmark" button right below your post?

Hi Phinds,
Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I can't find such a button! Would you mind helping me find it?

Capture.JPG

I'm guessing maybe you are using a phone app and it doesn't show up?

Likes Bystander and demon
phinds said:
View attachment 106437
I'm guessing maybe you are using a phone app and it doesn't show up?
No, actually I'm on my PC (Firefox - Ubuntu). I can see the "Report" option, but not the bookmark. Can't figure out why.
But at least now I know that the functionality exists, and the button should be there. I'll try with another browser, or in a different PC and see what I get.
Thank you very much for your help!

demon said:
No, actually I'm on my PC (Firefox - Ubuntu). I can see the "Report" option, but not the bookmark. Can't figure out why.
But at least now I know that the functionality exists, and the button should be there. I'll try with another browser, or in a different PC and see what I get.
Thank you very much for your help!
I'll report this thread to the mods so as to get it moved to where it should be which is in the site feedback forum.

Thank you!

Either Bookmark or Watch Thread (above the thread's first post, on the right).

Not sure why Bookmark doesn't work for you, can be it requires permissions granted after some minimum number of posts.

The bookmark option is a gold membership feature. "Watch thread" is much more useful to follow discussions, and available to all users. The threads then appear in the https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads and you directly see what is new.

Likes berkeman
mfb said:
The bookmark option is a gold membership feature. "Watch thread" is much more useful to follow discussions, and available to all users. The threads then appear in the https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads and you directly see what is new.
Son of a gun. I'm sure I knew that at one time but ...

@demon sorry I misled you.

phinds said:
Son of a gun. I'm sure I knew that at one time but ...
Weelllll ... let me think ... not certain that I ever did. I'll wear the egg on my face, o:).

Well, thanks to all for your help.

I have tried the watch thread option, but I always get the message "You do not have any watched threads that are unread." This is normally the case for the threads I'm interested so far, because they are generally old threads and nobody is contributing to them any more. Therefore, the result is that I cannot keep an eye on topics that are interesting to me.

Is it really necessary to keep the "bookmark" option as a gold membership perk? being just a usage option that does not interfere with the flow of the forums, what is the point of keeping good functionality only for gold users? I'd be grateful if you senior embers could give it a thought.

Regards

There is also the link "https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads/all" at the bottom. You can also add bookmarks in your browser for old threads.

Uh, another feature I haven't come across. Could you let me know where to find it? just in case it is another "bonus" feature...

"Show all watched threads"? The link is at the bottom left on the https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads page.
Bookmarks in your browser? See the documentation of your browser.

Oh, I just saw it, right in front of my nose... :)

Thank you!

Related to Is there a way to bookmark threads on Physics Forums?

1. What is bookmarking a thread?

Bookmarking a thread is the process of saving a thread or discussion on a website for easy access at a later time. It allows you to keep track of threads that you are interested in and want to revisit.

2. How do I bookmark a thread?

The method for bookmarking a thread may vary depending on the website, but it typically involves clicking on a bookmark or favorite button or link that is located near the thread title or at the top or bottom of the page. Some websites may also allow you to right-click on the thread title and select "bookmark" or "add to favorites" from the menu.

3. Can I access my bookmarked threads from any device?

Yes, most websites allow you to access your bookmarked threads from any device as long as you are logged into your account. This means that you can save a thread on your computer and access it later on your phone or tablet.

4. Are there any benefits to bookmarking threads?

Bookmarking threads can be beneficial for a variety of reasons. It allows you to easily keep track of threads that you are interested in, making it easier to find and access them in the future. It also helps you save time by not having to search for the same thread multiple times.

5. Can I bookmark multiple threads at once?

It depends on the website, but most allow you to bookmark multiple threads at once. This can typically be done by selecting the threads you want to bookmark and then clicking on a bookmark or favorite button or link. Some websites may also allow you to create folders or categories to organize your bookmarked threads.