1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in engineering but choosing medecine

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    Hi guys,
    I am a high school student and I think I will study in medicine. However, I am VERY interested in electrical and aerospace engineering. Is it possible that on my own , I deeply study those subjects in order to have a deep understanding. What I mean is that I want to be as knowledgeable as the real aerospace/electrical engineers. Is my goal feasible or no? Can you guys recommend me some good text books please.

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, it is not possible that by reading a few books you will be as knowledgeable as those who spent four years of thei live studying this at university.

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    To add, these students who study engineering get laboratory experience with expensive equipment, out of book information from experts of the field, etc.

If your goal is to have job opportunities in these fields, you're not going to be able to really "prove" you can compete with those who have a degree in it.

To study medicine, in the US at least, you could study one of the engineering majors while knocking out the premed requirements as an undergrad, then apply to medical school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook