Interested in hearing opinions about this

• Thread starter Xyius
  • Start date
Hey all!
Just wanted to hear some thoughts about this.
My girlfriends sister currently works at NASA. I am not exactly sure what she does, something with cooling liquid nitrogen to temperatures at almost absolute zero. The thing is, she doesn't have a science degree. In fact she was picked over Physics majors who applied for the same job after college. (She was a womans studies major.) She however did do lab work in astronomy in college and was a TA for an astronomy class.

My question is, why would NASA pick her over Physics majors? Could it be solely based on her experience in the lab? I feel like a student with a Physics degree must have the same if not more lab work. I feel like the job must not require an extensive knowledge of physics otherwise they would have picked someone with a degree in Physics.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great she works for NASA. But I keep imagining myself in the Physics majors shoes who also applied for that job. (I AM a physics major, not done with school yet though :p )

She slept with her boss?

On a more serious note, the only thing that could come to my mind is over-qualification? It happens

when i hire guys to run a crew they want to be paid well. i can hire monkeys to pick up garbage and pay them peanuts.

Yep, DS seems to have it I think.

Why hire someone who expects to be paid highly for the work after a degree when you can get someone to do the same job, for a lower cost? Especially if the job isn't technical.

Evo

Mentor
Many of the people that work at NASA actually work for contractors. She possibly has a technical job.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Hey all!
Just wanted to hear some thoughts about this.
My girlfriends sister currently works at NASA. I am not exactly sure what she does, something with cooling liquid nitrogen to temperatures at almost absolute zero. The thing is, she doesn't have a science degree. In fact she was picked over Physics majors who applied for the same job after college. (She was a womans studies major.) She however did do lab work in astronomy in college and was a TA for an astronomy class.

My question is, why would NASA pick her over Physics majors? Could it be solely based on her experience in the lab? I feel like a student with a Physics degree must have the same if not more lab work. I feel like the job must not require an extensive knowledge of physics otherwise they would have picked someone with a degree in Physics.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great she works for NASA. But I keep imagining myself in the Physics majors shoes who also applied for that job. (I AM a physics major, not done with school yet though :p )
This is idle speculation. Find out what her role is. Then we'll figure out if some Physics major is better qualified.

It's hard for me to find out exactly what she does, I do not get much chances to talk to her and my girlfriend doesn't really know either. All I know is she works at Colby Labs at the NASA in Washington and she uses liquid helium to study things at very cold temperatures. :\

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's hard for me to find out exactly what she does, I do not get much chances to talk to her and my girlfriend doesn't really know either. All I know is she works at Colby Labs at the NASA in Washington and she uses liquid helium to study things at very cold temperatures. :\
Dave's right, there's no way to know if she's under or even over qualified for her job. There's a lot of routine, tedious tasks involved in lab work. Her job could be something like:

Take samples from point A, move them to point B.
Repeat until quitting time.

Last edited:

DaveC426913

Gold Member
It's hard for me to find out exactly what she does,
Right, so it is folly to judge or worry. Unless and until things change, she's not taking anyone's job.