Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in insolation of Solar PV systems

1. May 13, 2016 #1
    Hello, I hope I'm in the right place as I am interested in the mathematics of calculating the daily insolation peak of my home and office Solar PV (photo voltaic) systems.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Yep, this is the right place! You can do a search for solar PV threads that have already been posted, and then if you don't see the answers to your questions, just post in the General Physics forum or one of the Engineering forums. :smile:

4. May 13, 2016 #3
    Specifically, I wish to write a simple programme in Python for a Raspberry Pi that will calculate & display for each day the peak solar insolation +/- say 1 hour to display this 2 hour time window and a green LED or similar visual or audible indicator that now is a good time to run the dishwasher, kettle etc. to take advantage of the excess energy that would normally flow back in to the mains electricity grid.

The calculation will include the property location Lat/Lon co-ordinates, roof pitch angle and compass orientation of the roof in degrees.

What I've had difficulty finding help with is the mathematical calculation. I'm not a natural mathematician or programmer but I am probably determined enough to work it through with some help.

Did I come to the right place?

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Regards, Steve

5. May 13, 2016 #4
    Looks like I am in good company! I am UK radio amateur G6FDK.

6. May 13, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

This forum here is just for New Member Introductions (hence the name). :smile:

It looks like the General Physics forum or the EE forum would be a good fit for you to post your technical questions in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook