Interested in learning quantum theory

In summary, the individual is interested in learning quantum theory and mechanics and is seeking a crash course in the most commonly used phrases, words, and equations in order to gain a good understanding of the concepts. They have expressed a willingness to start from the beginning and have a dedicated mindset, but are unsure of where to begin. The speaker recommends starting with classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and a year of advanced math before delving into quantum mechanics.
Jaco Viri
Hello I have an interest in assimilating new knowledge and would be most in debted if you could give me a possible crash course in the most used phrases, words and equations used in quantum therory and quantum mechanics so I can know what to study first in order to get a good grasp on the concepts of it, so that I may enjoy talking with you guys in detail and not looking like a complete imbecile while chatting..I thank you friends for any help in my quest to understand the concepts of this riveting science

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your mathematical background? And what have you already read?

Jaco Viri said:
Hello I have an interest in assimilating new knowledge and would be most in debted if you could give me a possible crash course in the most used phrases, words and equations used in quantum therory and quantum mechanics so I can know what to study first in order to get a good grasp on the concepts of it, so that I may enjoy talking with you guys in detail and not looking like a complete imbecile while chatting..I thank you friends for any help in my quest to understand the concepts of this riveting science

Do you want to learn quantum theory, or do you just want to learn ABOUT quantum theory? There is a big difference here.

You can learn ABOUT quantum theory by reading up stuff and reading pop-science books. However, you do not learn quantum theory that way. Quantum theory, and physics/science in general, isn't simply a set of disconnected information. A bunch of disconnected information isn't knowledge, it is "stamp-collecting".

To actually learn quantum theory, and physics in general, you need the mathematical tools, because that is the only language of physics that has an unambiguous and most accurate description. You also have to learn it systematically, and that means you have to put in the hard work from the very beginning and progress through the various complexity of the subject. This also means that you simply can't JUST learn quantum theory without learning other aspects of physics. This is because the ideas and knowledge from classical mechanics and E&M are carried over into quantum mechanics.

Zz.

I would love to get in depth and actually learn it from equations..but like anything you learn to get an overview of what to learn is essential in mastering something..I am willing to start from the beginning and work up..I have dedication to what I put my mind too

Jaco Viri said:
I would love to get in depth and actually learn it from equations..but like anything you learn to get an overview of what to learn is essential in mastering something..I am willing to start from the beginning and work up..I have dedication to what I put my mind too

Classical mechanics at the level of Kleppner and Kolenkow, E&M at the level of Purcell, and a year of math (differential equations, vector and multi-variable calculus, complex analysis and a bit of linear algebra) beyond elementary differential and integral calculus is pretty much the price of admission to quantum mechanics.

Thanks you have given me some basis to go on which is always a good place to build on

1. What is quantum theory?

Quantum theory, also known as quantum mechanics, is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, where classical physics laws do not apply.

2. Why is quantum theory important?

Quantum theory is important because it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It has led to many technological advancements, such as the development of transistors, lasers, and computer memory, and has also revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

3. How is quantum theory different from classical physics?

Quantum theory differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of particles as both waves and particles, known as wave-particle duality. It also incorporates the concept of uncertainty, where the exact position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously.

4. Can anyone learn quantum theory?

Yes, anyone can learn quantum theory. While it may seem complex and abstract, with dedication and effort, anyone can understand the basic principles and concepts of quantum theory. It is helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, but many online resources and courses are available for beginners.

5. How is quantum theory applied in real life?

Quantum theory has many practical applications in real life. Some examples include the development of quantum computers, which can perform calculations much faster than traditional computers, and quantum cryptography, which allows for secure communication. It is also used in medical imaging, precision measurements, and nanotechnology.