Interesting way to define a sequence of Squares

In summary: GCD in this context. It's always interesting to see how seemingly unrelated concepts can come together in a proof.
ramsey2879
Let A and B be two coprime integers. Find X = zero mod A such that Y = 2*X +1 = 0 mod B. Then 8*(Y +2*N*A*B)*(X + N*A*B) + 1 is a square for all integer N.

If A = 5,B = 7, X = 10, Z = 21 then the sequence of square roots of the Squares for N = -3 to 3 is -379, -249, -99, 41, 181, and 321. Of course X is also variable since X could also equal 45 then Y would be 91.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, what is the question?

atomthick said:
sorry, what is the question?
It would be great if someone could prove or help me prove that my conjecture is valid for all coprime A and B. So far I have only specific examples to show. I also believe that the square roots are = 1 mod A and = -1 mod B if you use a positive or negative square root respectively for n >= 0 or < 0, so that might be a start to making a proof.

Last edited:
Hi, ramsey,
the example you give, A=5, B=7, X=10, Y=21, with N=1 gives 35841, which is not a square. In fact i haven't yet obtained any square with the first few numbers I plugged in. Which numbers did you use to obtain squares?

Dodo said:
Hi, ramsey,
the example you give, A=5, B=7, X=10, Y=21, with N=1 gives 35841, which is not a square. In fact i haven't yet obtained any square with the first few numbers I plugged in. Which numbers did you use to obtain squares?
Sorry The equation should be 8*(Y+2*N*A*B)*(X+N*A*B)+1 = S^2 I misplaced the 2 in my first post. I think I have it right now. Got to go.

Dodo said:
Ah, in this case 8*(2*X+1 + 2*N*A*B)*(X + N*A*B) + 1 simplifies to the square of 4*(X + N*A*B) + 1; in other words, it is a square for any choice of A,B,X,N, always, without any conditions about coprimality or congruency.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=factor+8*(2*X+1+++2*N*A*B)*(X+++N*A*B)+++1
Good Now I can say that I have a proof that if C*D = X*(2*X +1) and A = GCD(C,X) and B = GCD(D,2X+1) then 8*(C+2*N*A^2)*(D+N*B^2)+1 = S^2 for all integer N because I got from that conjecture to the result of my post. See if you can see the connection between the two!

ramsey2879 said:
Good Now I can say that I have a proof that if C*D = X*(2*X +1) and A = GCD(C,X) and B = GCD(D,2X+1) then 8*(C+2*N*A^2)*(D+N*B^2)+1 = S^2 for all integer N because I got from that conjecture to the result of my post. See if you can see the connection between the two!
What is interesting about this is that the pairs (C,D) and (E,F) where E = C+2*A^2 and F = D + B^2 each form the starting terms of two recursive series of the form S(n) = 6*S(n-1) - S(n-2) + K where K is dependent upon the starting terms, i.e. K/2 = Square root of (8*C*D+1) -C - D and likewise substituting E,F for C,D. and S2(2n)-S1(2n) always equals twice a square and S2(2n+1)-S1(2n+1) always equals a square.

An example is S1 = {0,1,6,35,204,1189 ...} S2 = {0,2,14,84,492,2870 ...} The differences are {0,1,8,49,288,1681,...). Because of the previous posts, for any Coprime pair A,B can form the series 2*A^2, B^2, 2*C^2, D^2, 2*E^2, F^2 ... having the recursion S(n) = 6*S(n-1) - S(n-2) + T where T is dependent upon the pair A,B. Of course the product of two adjacent terms in either series S1, S2 is always a triangular number. I can give a proof of this if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested in a proof of the statement
ramsey2879 said:
if C*D = X*(2*X +1) and A = GCD(C,X) and B = GCD(D,2X+1) then 8*(C+2*N*A^2)*(D+N*B^2)+1 = S^2 for all integer N

On the part about the series, frankly speaking, I have no particular interest. But I'm interested in how you used the GCD conditions in the proof of the statement above.

Dodo said:
I'd be interested in a proof of the statement

On the part about the series, frankly speaking, I have no particular interest. But I'm interested in how you used the GCD conditions in the proof of the statement above.

If C*D = N*(2*N+1) and GCD(C,N) = A and GCD(D,2*N +1) = B you can prove that 8*(C + 2*n*A^2)*(D + n*B^2) +1 = S^2 as follows:
It can be shown that C = A*(2*N + 1)/B and D = B*N/A. Making these substitutions you get the following:
S^2 = 8*(A*(2*N+1)/B + 2*n*A^2)*(B*N/A+n*B^2) + 1
S^2 = 8*(2*N+1)/B + 2*n*A)*(B*N + n*A*B^2) + 1 :Repositioning the factor A
S^2 = 8*(2*N +1 + 2*n*A*B)*(N + n*A*B) + 1 :Repositioning the factor B
S^2 = 8*(2*X+1)*X + 1 = 16*X^2 + 8*X + 1 : X = N + n*A*B
S^2 = (4*X + 1)^2

Is this what you wanted? I don't think you need more explanation but I can explain further if you want.

ramsey2879 said:
It can be shown that C = A*(2*N + 1)/B and D = B*N/A.

Ah, thanks, that was the part I found interesting. If CD = N(2N+1), or C/N = (2N+1)/D, then, upon reduction of these two fractions (which involves dividing up and down by A=GCD(C,N) for the left fraction, and by B=GCD(D,2N+1) for the fraction on the right), after reduction, the numerators will be equal and the denominators will also be equal, so C/A = (2N+1)/B and N/A = D/B, from which the result follows.

Thanks again for the hint!

1. What is a sequence of squares?

A sequence of squares is a set of numbers that are formed by multiplying a number by itself. For example, the sequence of squares starting at 1 would be 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, and so on.

2. What is the formula for finding the next number in a sequence of squares?

The formula for finding the next number in a sequence of squares is n^2, where n represents the current number in the sequence. For example, if the current number is 4, the next number will be 16 (4^2 = 16).

3. How can a sequence of squares be used in real life?

A sequence of squares can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating areas and volumes, predicting growth patterns in nature, and understanding the relationship between numbers and their square roots.

4. Is there a limit to how high a sequence of squares can go?

No, there is no limit to how high a sequence of squares can go. As long as the sequence continues, the numbers will continue to increase.

5. How is a sequence of squares different from a sequence of cubes?

A sequence of squares involves multiplying a number by itself, while a sequence of cubes involves multiplying a number by itself three times. This results in a different pattern of numbers, with a faster rate of growth in a sequence of cubes compared to a sequence of squares.