1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate algebra , Natural logarithm question

1. May 1, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone, I do not understand how:: e raised to ln of x = x ?
    this notation might make more sense:: e^ln x=x ?
    Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By definition, ln(x)=a means e^a=x (i.e. ln is the inverse of e^x).

Obviously though, it seems like you're not using that definition (I hope...).

How are you defining ln(x)?

4. May 1, 2007 #3
    ln x = e ^ some number. we just use a calculator. we made a list in class of these ones, but they are simple.

ln e^2=e
    ln e^x=x

5. May 1, 2007 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No.... it's the other way around

ln(e^x) = x

Note ln(e^2) = 2, not e.

Anyway, the definition of natural log is ln(e^x) = x (well, the definition you should be working from)

6. May 1, 2007 #5
    The natural log has a base of e, so if you raise e^ln(x), it will always just equal x.

[tex]e^{ln_{e}(x)} = x[/tex]

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  7. May 1, 2007 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

its for the same reason the father of the man whose father is john, is ....?

8. May 2, 2007 #7

VietDao29

Homework Helper

If f(x) is a bijection (i.e, an onto, 1-to-1 function), then there will exists another function g(x), such that: g(f(x)) = x, and f(g(x)) = x, we denote that function g(x) by f-1(x), and call it the inverse of f(x) (i.e a function which does the reverse of f(x)).
    Say, if we have: f(a) = b, then we'll have g(b) = a. So we have: g(f(a)) = g(b) = a, and f(g(b)) = f(a) = b.

ex has the inverse ln(x) (i.e, we define ln(x) to be the inverse of ex). So, if f(x) = ex, then f-1(x) = ln(x).
    So, we have: [tex]f(f ^ {-1} (x)) = e ^ {f ^ {-1} (x)} = e ^ {ln (x)} = x[/tex], as f(f-1(x)) = x
    And [tex]f ^ {-1} (f(x)) = \ln(f(x)) = \ln (e ^ x) = x[/tex], as f-1(f(x)) = x

9. May 2, 2007 #8
    perhaps it is better to first understand what a log is. A log is an exponent. [tex]log_2{8}[/tex] means the exponent on 2 to get 8. (3)

ln means log base e. So, ln(x) means "what is the exponent on e to get a value of x?" example ln(5) means "what is the exponent on e to get a value of 5?" In other words, e^? = 5.

So, when you raise e^[ln(x)], that means e to the power: [the power on e to get x].

So, e^[ln(5)] means raise e^(power that when e is raised to that power, the result is 5.)

10. May 4, 2007 #9
    I just had to explain this to my calculus class.

We know that e^(ln x) must be some number, call it q. So e^(ln x) = q.
    If we take the natural logarithm of both side of the equation we have
    ln (e^(ln x)) = ln q.

Hopefully, we are convinced that ln (e^a) = a by the laws of logarithms. If not, here it is quickly.
    ln (e^a) = a ln e = a*1 = a

So ln (e^(ln x)) = ln x.

Thus we have ln x = ln q, which might convince you that q = x.

If not, we continue
    ln x - ln q = 0, so ln (x/q) = 0. Then, by the definition of logarithm (as an inverse function), x/q = e^0 = 1, So x = q.

Putting this back in the original equation, we have e^(ln x) = q = x.
    (We must include the caveat that x > 0).

11. May 4, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How, then, have you defined ln(x) in your class?

12. May 4, 2007 #11
    I see your point. If ln x = a means e^a = x, then clearly, by substituting a into the second equation we get the result e^(ln x) = x.

However, some students need a bit more convincing that the "complicated" formula e^(ln x) = x is right. They accept the definition, in principle, but do not always see connection to the results. By bringing it down to the situation where ln(x/q) = 0, they were then able to make the connection that x/q=1.

BTW, as stated in my post, I use the inverse function definition of the natural logarithm. Sorry for the confusion.

13. May 4, 2007 #12

uart

Science Advisor

This might seem a little silly but it really seems to work. When a student says that they cant understand why e^(ln x) = x is correct this is what I sometimes do. I say that I will explain it to them, but first they must explain something to me.

I then tell them that I've just encounter [tex]\sqrt{\cdot}[/tex] for the first time and I don't understand it (they know I'm joking) and that they must explain to me why it is that for any positive number "x" that [tex]\sqrt{x^2} = x[/tex].

It's quite interesting just how often in that in the process of explaining this (or thinking up an explaination) that they suddenly claim to now understand the e^(ln x) thing. I guess it's just a matter of putting it into a 1-1 relation with a problem that they already understand.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?