Intermediate-level QM book aimed on foundational issues

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a better understanding of quantum mechanics, specifically the foundational issues and quantum information theory. Book suggestions are requested, with a mention of already studying Griffiths' and Cohen-Tannoudji's books. Ballentine's textbook is recommended as a great advanced book, but with some potential bias. Another suggestion is Schumacher and Westmoreland's book, which emphasizes foundations at a lower level than Ballentine's. The person expresses interest in further suggestions.
carlosbgois
Hey there! While considering going into foundational issues in QM (reading abou entanglement and Bell's theorems now), I realized I may need a better grasp of QM. I have studied both Griffiths' and Cohen-Tannoudji's (both volumes, excluding the appendices) books. I am not very confident in my understanding, though.

Thence I ask for book suggestions that would take me to higher level, while also pointing me towards the discussion of foundational issues, maybe quantum information theory also. My university uses Sakurai's book on the master's QM course, but I skimmed through it and it didn't seem to discuss a lot of more philosophical issues. I have found sparse recommendation of Ballentine's textbook, but got afraid it would be written defending his position on the matter in a biased way. Couldn't find many comments about his book around, neither anyone who read it.

If you please, then, I'd really appreciate any suggestions on which way to go, especially if you could explain me the why of your recommendation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ballentine is a great advanced book, except that it somewhat misinterprets issues related to collapse.
Another great book emphasizing foundations, at a lower level than Ballentine, is Schumacher and Westmoreland, Quantum Processess, Systems and Information.

Likes carlosbgois
Your second suggestion, the one by Schumacher and Westmoreland, looks like exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I am still interested in further suggestions, if anyone else would please.

1. What are the foundational issues addressed in this intermediate-level QM book?

The foundational issues addressed in this book include the interpretation of quantum mechanics, the role of measurement in quantum systems, the nature of quantum entanglement, and the relationship between classical and quantum mechanics.

2. What makes this QM book suitable for intermediate-level readers?

This book strikes a balance between the mathematical rigor of advanced QM texts and the conceptual simplicity of introductory QM texts. It assumes prior knowledge of basic QM concepts and equations, making it ideal for readers who have completed an introductory course but are not yet ready for advanced textbooks.

3. Can this book be used for self-study or is it best suited for classroom use?

This book can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It includes exercises and problems at the end of each chapter, making it suitable for self-paced learning. However, it can also be used in a classroom setting with a professor or tutor guiding the students through the material.

4. Are there any specific prerequisites for understanding the material in this book?

As an intermediate-level QM book, it assumes prior knowledge of basic QM concepts and equations. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including linear algebra and calculus.

5. Is there a specific area of research or application that this book focuses on?

This book does not focus on any specific area of research or application. It covers foundational issues in QM that are relevant to various fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can serve as a solid foundation for further study in any of these areas.