1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate undergraduate quantum text

1. Dec 22, 2008 #1
    hello all. originally i was a physics major and took "modern physics" which briefly covered nuclear, particle, and quantum physics. i switched majors to math, and now i'm thinking of dual majoring in physics and mathematics, but i'd like to read a little bit about quantum physics before i go about trying the physics thing again.

i've got a pretty good mathematics background, with a year of linear algebra, ODE, a semester of number theory and abstract algebra, and a semester of analysis under my belt, so i should be able to understand most of what can be tossed at me mathematically.

let me know if you guys have any good recommendations.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A standard physics text is Introduction to Quantum Mechanic by David Griffiths.

You might also want to look at Quantum Mechanics and the Particles of Nature: An Outline for Mathematicians by Anthony Sudbery. This book was written for final-year British mathematics students. This book, unlike many physics books, has nice, crisp, somewhat abstract mathematics, but it does not dwell on mathematical rigour, and, unlike physics books, it doesn't spend much time solving differential equations.

4. Dec 22, 2008 #3
    awesome, thanks! i'll check them out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?