International Physicists' Tournament 2020: Electrostatic Copier

In summary, the conversation discusses how rubbing two sheets of paper together can create an electrical pattern that can be used to restore text. The challenge is to create a setup that can recover the original text with high resolution, similar to a photocopier. However, this process involves complex parts and the analysis of the electrical pattern is not fully understood. A good starting point for further research is the Wikipedia page on photocopiers.
Peter Jones
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Summary:: If you rub against each other two sheets of paper, one of which contains text, they become
electrified. The electrical pattern that is formed on the clear sheet may be analyzed later to
restore the text, depending on the way the text was created. Propose and build a setup to recover
an image of the original text with the highest possible resolution.
(International Physicists’ Tournament 2020)

This problems resemble a photocopier and i also think a colour photocopier is the solution for this problem. But the photocopier mechanism includes some optics knowledge and some quite complex parts compared to the example given in the problem. Also, i do not understand much about the electrical pattern formed, about how it can be analysed. I hope someone can help me about the electrical pattern and this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the International Physicists' Tournament 2020?

The International Physicists' Tournament (IPT) is an annual international competition for undergraduate students in the field of physics. It aims to promote scientific research and collaboration among students from different countries.

2. What is the theme of the 2020 tournament?

The theme of the 2020 IPT is "Electrostatic Copier". This means that all the problems and challenges in the tournament will revolve around the principles of electrostatics and its applications.

3. How does the tournament work?

Teams of students from different countries will compete against each other in a series of physics problems and challenges related to the theme. Each team will have to present their solutions and defend them in front of a jury of experts. The winning team will be determined based on their performance in each round.

4. Who can participate in the tournament?

The tournament is open to undergraduate students from any country. Each team must consist of 5 members, with at least 3 members being undergraduate students. All team members must be proficient in English, as it is the official language of the tournament.

5. When and where will the tournament take place?

The 2020 IPT will take place from April 1st to 5th, 2020 in Warsaw, Poland. The tournament will be hosted by the University of Warsaw and will be held at their Faculty of Physics building. Participants are expected to arrive on March 31st for registration and orientation.