Internship Struggles: Chances of Getting an Internship

• Thread starter ap7794
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the individual is worried about their chances of getting an internship for the summer. They have applied to ten programs, with a particular interest in three at Sandia and the SULI program at ORNL and FermiLab. Their GPA is 3.667/4.0 overall and 3.636 in their major, and they have extensive leadership and work experience. They have also worked on research projects and have taken numerous relevant courses. Despite attending a small school with a small physics department, they have good relationships with their professors who wrote their recommendations. The individual is aware of the competitiveness of internships but believes they have a good chance. They are advised to apply to more internships that interest them.
ap7794
Hey everyone! So, I'm worried about getting an internship for this summer. I've applied to about ten internship programs. I'm really interested in three that I've applied to at Sandia and the SULI program at ORNL and FermiLab.

I was wondering what my chances of being offered a position are. My GPA isn't the best 3.667/4.0 overall and 3.636 in major, but I have extensive leadership and work experience: VP of the SGA, leader of physics and math clubs, Physics tutor and TA, sophomore representative for the honors program, etc. I also have worked on some variable star research and a STEM honors research seminar. I've had Calc I-III, DE, Linear Algebra, Discrete Structures, Calc based General Physics I&II, Optics, Advanced Lab course, E&M, Modern Physics, and am taking Classical Mechanics.

I go to a small Christian school in the middle of nowhere. As you can imagine we have a really small physics dept. Two professors, actually, which I know really well and I had write my recommendations. I think they would give me good recommendations.

I know internships are really competitive and I'm worried I may not stand a chance. Just want to know where I stand. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of internships (especially REUs) are for people who do not get to do research at their home schools, so I think that you stand a pretty good chance. You also look very qualified and show a lot of promise. I would say don't count your eggs before they hatch ;)

Yea you look like you're in great standing. Apply to more internships which interest you.

1. What can I do to increase my chances of getting an internship?

One way to increase your chances of getting an internship is to actively search for and apply to multiple internships that align with your interests and qualifications. Additionally, networking and building relationships with professionals in your field can also help you stand out as a candidate.

2. How important is having a high GPA in securing an internship?

While having a high GPA can certainly make you a more competitive candidate for internships, it is not the only determining factor. Employers also consider relevant experience, skills, and personal qualities. It is important to highlight all of your strengths and accomplishments in your application.

3. Is it possible to get an internship without any prior experience?

Yes, it is possible to get an internship without any prior experience. Many internships are designed to provide students with hands-on experience and training. It is important to highlight any relevant skills or coursework in your application, and to demonstrate a willingness to learn and grow in the internship.

4. How can I stand out among other internship applicants?

One way to stand out among other internship applicants is to tailor your application to the specific internship and company you are applying to. This shows that you have done your research and are genuinely interested in the opportunity. Additionally, highlighting any unique skills or experiences you have can also help you stand out.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to find an internship?

If you are struggling to find an internship, consider expanding your search to different industries or locations. You can also reach out to your network and ask for recommendations or connections. Additionally, consider applying for virtual internships or volunteering in your field to gain experience and make connections.