Skills to Put on CV for National Lab Internship

  • Thread starter Thread starter lee403
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cv Skills
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
lee403
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
I am going for an internship at a national laboratory and I think I have a pretty good chance but I am wanting to make my CV a little bit better. I won't know until I get the internship what I will be doing so I don't know what skills to include. I'm a senior in Chemistry and Math, I have research experience, and excellent grades and I taught a little bit at a community college. I've already included these things and my responsibilities for my job and research.
I know a little bit of programming but I'm not really proficient. More like I understand syntax for two programming languages and can code simple programs with both of them. Is this something I should include? I know laboratory skills and safety from the labs I've taken at school but is it worth including something like this? I'm also very good at working with data in Excel.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Disclaimer: I have no idea what the national laboratory is looking for, so take my advice with sufficient grains of salt:

lee403 said:
I know a little bit of programming but I'm not really proficient. More like I understand syntax for two programming languages and can code simple programs with both of them. Is this something I should include?

Yes, include it on your CV. The Excel knowledge too. On your CV you can quantify your knowledge, eg "Excel - Expert knowledge", "Python - Simple programs", something like that

I know laboratory skills and safety from the labs I've taken at school but is it worth including something like this?

This is important, but I don't feel it should be in a CV. Instead, you will want to put it in the motivation letter.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Timo