Skills to Put on CV for National Lab Internship

• Thread starter lee403
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cv Skills
In summary, the conversation discussed the individual's plans for an upcoming internship at a national laboratory and their desire to improve their CV. They mentioned their qualifications, including being a senior in Chemistry and Math, having research experience, excellent grades, and some teaching experience. They also questioned whether to include their limited programming knowledge and laboratory skills on the CV. The expert advised including both on the CV, with a quantification of their proficiency, and saving the laboratory skills for the motivation letter.
lee403
I am going for an internship at a national laboratory and I think I have a pretty good chance but I am wanting to make my CV a little bit better. I won't know until I get the internship what I will be doing so I don't know what skills to include. I'm a senior in Chemistry and Math, I have research experience, and excellent grades and I taught a little bit at a community college. I've already included these things and my responsibilities for my job and research.
I know a little bit of programming but I'm not really proficient. More like I understand syntax for two programming languages and can code simple programs with both of them. Is this something I should include? I know laboratory skills and safety from the labs I've taken at school but is it worth including something like this? I'm also very good at working with data in Excel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Disclaimer: I have no idea what the national laboratory is looking for, so take my advice with sufficient grains of salt:

lee403 said:
I know a little bit of programming but I'm not really proficient. More like I understand syntax for two programming languages and can code simple programs with both of them. Is this something I should include?

Yes, include it on your CV. The Excel knowledge too. On your CV you can quantify your knowledge, eg "Excel - Expert knowledge", "Python - Simple programs", something like that

I know laboratory skills and safety from the labs I've taken at school but is it worth including something like this?

This is important, but I don't feel it should be in a CV. Instead, you will want to put it in the motivation letter.

Likes Timo

1. What type of skills should I include on my CV for a national lab internship?

The skills you should include on your CV for a national lab internship will depend on the specific internship and your field of study. However, some common skills that are highly sought after by national labs include technical skills such as laboratory techniques, data analysis, and programming. Additionally, communication skills, teamwork, and adaptability are also important skills to highlight.

2. Should I include skills that are not directly related to my field of study on my CV?

Yes, it can be beneficial to include skills that are not directly related to your field of study on your CV for a national lab internship. These skills can demonstrate your versatility and adaptability, which are highly valued by national labs. For example, if you have experience with project management or leadership, be sure to include it on your CV.

3. How can I showcase my technical skills on my CV?

To showcase your technical skills on your CV, be specific and provide examples. Instead of simply listing a skill, such as coding, provide details on the programming languages you are proficient in and any projects or research you have completed using those skills. You can also include relevant coursework or certifications to further demonstrate your technical abilities.

4. Are there any skills that are not relevant for a national lab internship?

While it is important to highlight your skills on your CV, it is also important to be selective and only include skills that are relevant to the specific internship you are applying for. For example, if you are applying for a research internship, skills such as public speaking or customer service may not be as relevant as laboratory techniques or data analysis.

5. Can I provide examples of my skills on my CV?

Absolutely! Providing examples of your skills on your CV can help to demonstrate your proficiency and provide evidence of your accomplishments. For example, if you list communication skills, you can provide an example of a presentation you gave or a research paper you wrote. This will add credibility to your skills and make your CV more compelling to potential employers.