Internship stretched a bit from my field

In summary, the speaker is a Math and Physics major who is interested in academic research in Physics. They have a friend with a connection to an applied physics lab that offers summer internships and they are considering applying. However, they are hesitant because they are not interested in pursuing engineering in their future career. They are wondering if they should be honest about their interests with the lab and if they have a chance at getting the internship. The expert suggests not bringing up their lack of interest in engineering and instead focusing on the benefits of the internship for their future goals.
Dougggggg
I am a Math and Physics major. I eventually hope to go to graduate school for one or the other. The areas of Physics I am more interested in are a bit more towards academic research, not really applied physics or engineering. I have a friend who has a farther that works for an applied physics lab that does summer interns. So I can easily get a good recommendation. In the information about what they want they say "Engineering and sciences majors (predominantly EE and CS)." I actually enjoy don't mind Engineering type physics, I just wouldn't want to do it for my entire future. I am much more interested in advancing the subject of Physics itself. I will be talking to that friends farther sometime this week via skype and I am not going to lie to the guy and tell him engineering is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I was thinking about saying something similar to what I have said, I find it interesting but I have other goals I want to pursue. Also for submiting the resume I don't want to lie to the them either. Somewhere deep down I have some shreads of morality and a soul left. So basically the questions I have are, what should I tell them exactly, and do I really have a shot at getting this despite my interests being away from that field?

Sorry for the lack of order to that whole paragraph.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you shouldn't bring up that sort of thing. That's not to say that you should lie, but you shouldn't make it so apparent to them. If they ever ask what your interests are for your future career, tell them, but telling them upfront that this is really not what you'd rather be doing is not a good idea. Rather, try and focus on the things that will benefit you from doing this internship, and tell them how you think it'll help you. Again, if they ask, sure you can tell them, but I wouldn't bring it up if I could help it.

1. What should I do if my internship is stretched a bit from my field?

If your internship is stretched a bit from your field, there are a few things you can do. First, communicate with your supervisor or mentor and express your concerns. They may be able to provide you with additional resources or tasks that align more closely with your field. Additionally, take initiative and seek out opportunities to engage with projects or tasks that interest you and are more relevant to your field.

2. Will an internship outside of my field still be beneficial?

Yes, an internship outside of your field can still be beneficial. It allows you to gain transferable skills and experience in a different environment, which can make you a more well-rounded and versatile candidate in the job market. Additionally, you may discover new interests and strengths that you can apply to your field of study.

3. How can I make the most out of an internship outside of my field?

To make the most out of an internship outside of your field, try to identify transferable skills and experiences that you can apply to your field. Take advantage of any training or learning opportunities provided by the company. Network with professionals in the company and ask for informational interviews to learn more about their roles and the industry. Lastly, reflect on your experience and consider how it can benefit your future career goals.

4. Will an internship outside of my field affect my career prospects?

It depends on the industry and the specific job you are applying for. In some cases, having diverse experiences outside of your field can make you a more competitive candidate. However, if you are applying for a highly specialized job, having an internship outside of your field may not be as relevant. It's important to highlight the transferable skills and experiences you gained during your internship in your resume and cover letter.

5. How can I explain an internship outside of my field in a job interview?

When explaining an internship outside of your field in a job interview, focus on the transferable skills and experiences you gained. Emphasize how these skills can be applied to the job you are applying for and how your diverse experiences make you a valuable candidate. It's also important to be honest and explain why you took on the internship and what you learned from it.