Getting An Internship after getting B.S. in mathematics

In summary, the individual graduated from Wheaton College with a B.S. in Mathematics and has a goal of becoming a mathematician in engineering to assist mechanical engineers with mathematical and statistical modeling. They have been searching for internships in Chicago since graduation, but have not been successful due to location or field of interest. They have attempted to apply to companies like Argonne Labs and Applied Materials, but those positions typically require PhD candidates. They are now seeking advice on how to secure an internship and what type of engineering company would hire them.
uicflame
A few years ago, I graduated from Wheaton College with a B.S. in Mathematics; my objective is to be a mathematician in engineering that helps mechanical engineers with their mathematical/statistical modeling. Since I graduated, I have been looking for internships in Chicago: Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get one while I was in school b/c none of the ones which were available weren't in Chicago or my field of interest. So, I tried Argonne Labs, Applied Materials, and some other companies, but they all want people who are Phd candidates. So, how can I get an internship at this juncture, and what kind of engineering company will hire me? Thanks for responding.

Physics news on Phys.org
uicflame said:
; my objective is to be a mathematician in engineering that helps mechanical engineers with their mathematical/statistical modeling.

Just curious :

(1) Why do you think that mechanical engineers would need any help ?

(2) What help could you actually give when you have zero technical knowledge ?

Sorry to butt in, but you can do an MS oR PHd in COMPUTATIONAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING with a focus on Computational mechanical engineering. There are many programs like that.

What is the importance of getting an internship after getting a B.S. in mathematics?

Getting an internship after completing a B.S. in mathematics is crucial for gaining practical experience in the field. It allows you to apply your theoretical knowledge to real-world problems and challenges. Additionally, it can help you build a professional network and enhance your resume for future job opportunities.

When should I start looking for internships?

It is recommended to start looking for internships at least a year before you plan to graduate. This will give you enough time to research and apply to different companies and programs, and also allow for any potential interviews and decision-making processes.

What type of internships should I consider as a mathematics major?

As a mathematics major, you can consider internships in various industries such as finance, data analytics, technology, research, and education. It is important to choose an internship that aligns with your career goals and allows you to gain relevant experience in your field of interest.

How can I make my internship application stand out?

To make your internship application stand out, highlight your mathematical skills and any relevant coursework or projects you have completed. You can also showcase any previous internship or work experience, leadership roles, and extracurricular activities. Additionally, tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific requirements of the internship and demonstrate your enthusiasm and motivation for the opportunity.

What should I do if I am unable to secure an internship?

If you are unable to secure an internship, consider other options such as research opportunities, part-time jobs, or volunteering experiences that will allow you to gain relevant skills and experience. You can also reach out to your professors, career services, and professional networks for potential leads and advice. Remember that any experience in your field can be valuable and can help you stand out in future job applications.