Interpretation of an impulse graph

In summary, the mass is accelerating between 0 and 10 seconds, and then declining from 10 to 20 seconds.
lovelyrwwr
20131014_181542-1.jpg

Which of the following is true if the mass is at rest at t=0 ?
A. Velocity of the mass is decreasing btwn 10 and 20 seconds.
B. The accel. of the mass is constant between 0 and 10 seconds
C. At 40 seconds the mass is stationary.
D. The distance trsveled by the mass bten 0 and 10 seconds is equal to that traveled btwn 10 and 20 seconds.

The answer is C. I understand why I can rule out answer B. But I do not see why A and D are not true.

From the graph, I see that force decreases during 10 < t < 20 seconds. Thus accel gets smaller but is still positive, which means that velocity should still be increasing. However what I do not understand is what the inflection point at t=10 (and t=30 for that matter) represents...I mean between 0-20 seconds, velocity is always increasing (according to the solution, but then what does this inflection point at t=10 seconds represent?

This problem is driving me insane, please help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
lovelyrwwr said:
View attachment 62919
Which of the following is true if the mass is at rest at t=0 ?
A. Velocity of the mass is decreasing btwn 10 and 20 seconds.
B. The accel. of the mass is constant between 0 and 10 seconds
C. At 40 seconds the mass is stationary.
D. The distance trsveled by the mass bten 0 and 10 seconds is equal to that traveled btwn 10 and 20 seconds.

The answer is C. I understand why I can rule out answer B. But I do not see why A and D are not true.

From the graph, I see that force decreases during 10 < t < 20 seconds. Thus accel gets smaller but is still positive, which means that velocity should still be increasing. However what I do not understand is what the inflection point at t=10 (and t=30 for that matter) represents...I mean between 0-20 seconds, velocity is always increasing (according to the solution, but then what does this inflection point at t=10 seconds represent?

This problem is driving me insane, please help! :)

From what you've just said, you can already rule out A. The points at x=10 and x=30 are just the points of maximum acceleration and deceleration respectively. Now you just have to rule out D. I'm not sure what's driving you insane.

So btwn t = 0 and 10 seconds the mass is accelerating, right? And from 10 to 20 sec it is still accelerating but acceleration is declining...so shouldn't answer A be true?

lovelyrwwr said:
So btwn t = 0 and 10 seconds the mass is accelerating, right? And from 10 to 20 sec it is still accelerating but acceleration is declining...so shouldn't answer A be true?

If it's still accelerating that means velocity is still increasing, just more slowly. Declining acceleration doesn't mean that the velocity is decreasing. Just as you've already said. Acceleration and velocity are two different things.

Wow I am such a dope! Thanks for all of ur help! :)))))

1. What is an impulse graph?

An impulse graph is a graphical representation of a sudden change or impulse in a system. It shows how the system responds to the impulse over time.

2. How is an impulse graph interpreted?

An impulse graph is interpreted by analyzing the shape and slope of the graph. The steepness of the graph represents the strength of the impulse, while the area under the graph represents the total change or effect on the system.

3. What does the area under the impulse graph represent?

The area under the impulse graph represents the total change or effect on the system. This can be used to calculate the impulse or the change in momentum of the system.

4. What are some real-life examples of impulse graphs?

Some real-life examples of impulse graphs include the stock market's response to a major news event, the force applied to a car during a collision, and the change in temperature of a room when a window is opened.

5. How is the slope of an impulse graph related to the force applied?

The slope of an impulse graph is directly related to the force applied. The steeper the slope, the greater the force applied, and vice versa. This relationship can be described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied is equal to the change in momentum over time.