Understanding the Propagator in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of propagation in terms of one-particle states and creation/annihilation operators. The propagator measures the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one position to another over a period of time, taking into account the effects of time evolution. The confusion may arise from not including the time arguments in the operators, which can result in testing orthogonality rather than measuring propagation.
Neitrino
Hello PF :)
Let me for the moment consider just <0|[tex]\varphi(y)\varphi(x)[/tex]|0> as a propagator (instead of commutator of the fields)... and so in this expression evolves only <0|aa[tex]^{+}[/tex]|0> part.
Now my question is:

1) We can consider this expression as <0|a vector multiplied by a[tex]^{+}[/tex]|0> which is <1|1> so this is a transition aplitude that one "one-particle state" will go to another "one-particle state" but I don't understad the idea of propagation in such treatment...
a)One-particle is created at x position - this is one quantum state
b)One-particle is created at y position - this is another quantum state
and multiplication of these quantum states I appreciate as a propagator?

2) We can consider above expression as multiplication of <0 vector by aa[tex]^{+}[/tex]|0> vector where aa[tex]^{+}[/tex]|0> is creation of particle at x position =|1> and death of this one-particle state at y position again giving me the vacuum.
So since the annihilation of already born one-particle state happens at y position I should assume that this one-particle state SHOULD TRAVEL to y position where it is annihilated by "a" (basically if "something" is annihilated "somewhere" this "something" should first reach that "somwhere" place)and this travel corresponds to propagation of particle from x to y?

Is my undersyanding correct ? If my understanding is correct I can't apply the same logic to my 1) treatment.

Thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
no ideas ... :(

? :(

Both of your perspectives are equivalent. A maybe easier to understand definition is this:
[tex]
G(x,t;x',t') = \langle 0 | \psi(x,t) \psi^\dagger(x',t') |0 \rangle
[/tex]

The operator [tex] \psi^\dagger(x',t')[/tex] creates a particle in the vacuum state at position x' and time t'. Then the operator [tex]\psi(x,t)[/tex] attempts to destroy a particle at position x and time t. So what the propagator really measures is that if a particle at x',t' is allowed to time evolve for time t-t', what is its probability amplitude for being at x? The idea being that the time evolution operator may cause the particle which starts localized at x' to "spread out."

Your confusion might be because you've left off the time arguments. If you have your operators at the same time, then [tex] \langle 0 | \varphi(y) \varphi^\dagger(x) |0 \rangle[/tex] is the projection of your state x onto state y, and is really just testing their orthogonality.

What is a propagator?

A propagator is a mathematical function used in quantum mechanics to describe the probability of a particle moving from one location to another over a certain amount of time.

How is a propagator used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the propagator is used to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle moving from one position to another. It takes into account the initial state of the particle, as well as the potential energy and the time elapsed between the two positions.

What information can be obtained from the propagator?

The propagator provides information about the probability of a particle's position and momentum at a given time. It can also be used to calculate the evolution of a quantum system over time.

What factors affect the value of the propagator?

The value of the propagator is affected by the initial state of the particle, the potential energy of the system, and the time elapsed between the initial and final positions. It can also be affected by external forces or interactions with other particles.

How is the propagator related to other concepts in quantum mechanics?

The propagator is closely related to other concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the wave function and Hamiltonian. It is also connected to the uncertainty principle and the concept of superposition. The propagator is an essential tool for understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.