1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interrelationship between power of 2 and integer length

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1
    Hello, I was wondering if someone knew the equation which describe the exact or statistical relation between the length(# of digits) of a power of 2 based on it's power.

I plotted 200 of the powers in mathematica and I get a fairly straightforward staircase plot. I'm just wondering what's the rule here.

4.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2
    The length of an integer ##x## in basis 10 is given by ##\lfloor\log_{10}(x)\rfloor+1##, where the strange brackets denote the largest integer smaller or equal than ##x##. So if ##x=2^n##, then the length is

[tex]\lfloor \log_{10}(2^n)\rfloor + 1 \sim n\log_{10}(2) + 1[/tex]

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    If the number of digits of a number increases linearly, the number increases exponentially; if the exponent of a number increases linearly, the number increases exponentially. Basically you've plotted the implicit function 10^y = 2^x.

y/x = b is a constant because the equation 2 = 10^b has one root. To estimate b consider 2^10 = 1024 and 10^3 = 1000.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  5. Nov 7, 2013 #4
    n * (memorize 0.3 as log[10,2]) +1, excellent, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook