1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intrest rates/investment problem (pert), I just need someone to check my work

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    intrest rates/investment problem (pert), I just need someone to check my work:)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1)Cindy requires $10,000 in 3 years to return to college to get and MBA degree. How much money should she ask her parent for now so that, if she invests it at 12% compounded continuously, she will have enough for school?

2)Carla just inherited a building that is worth $250,000. The building is in a high demand area, and the value of the building is projected to increase at a rate of 25% per year for the next 4 years. How much more money will she make if she waits for four years to sell the building instead of selling it now?

2. Relevant equations

P=Ae^(-rt)

3. The attempt at a solution

1)so the equation would be

P= (10,000)e^(-.12*3) which equals $6,977 correct?

2)A=Pe^(rt)

A= $250,000e^(.12*4) = $679,570

so then $679,570-$250,000=$429,570

is all that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.
    Other than r = 25% not 12%, yes.

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3
    ah yeah I did the math right, I just typed in the wrong rate for the second one

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?