1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intrinsic semiconductor, carrier concentration

1. Mar 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An intrinsic semiconductor with a direct gap have valance band ##\epsilon_k = E_v-b|k|^2## and conduction band ##\epsilon_k = =E_c+a|k|^2##, with ##E_v=6.0##eV, ##E_c = 5.5eV##, ##a=5.0eV\cdot Å^2##, and ##b=3.0eV\cdot Å^2##.
    Calculate the chemical potential ##\mu## and the number of charge carriers ##n+p##.

2. Relevant equations
    Effective mass:
    ##m^*_e = \frac{\hbar^2}{2a}##
    Intrinsic semiconductor ##n=p##:
    ##p=n = \sqrt{pn} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( \frac{k_BT}{\pi \hbar^2}\right)^{3/2}(m_e^* m_n^*)^{3/4}e^{-E_g/(2k_BT)}##
    ##e^{(2\mu-E_g)/k_BT}= \left( \frac{m_h^*}{m_e^*}\right)^{3/2}##
    ##\mu = \frac{E_g}{2}+\frac{3}{4}k_BT\ln \frac{m_h^*}{m_e^*}##
    At ##T\approx 300##, ##k_BT \approx 25.7meV##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first part I get the correct answer just plugging in the numbers, with ##E_g = E_c-E_v = 0.5##eV and then shifting the energy by ##E_V## and noting that ##m_h/m_e=a/b##
    ##\mu = 5.5+0.25+25.7/1000 \cdot ln(5/3) \approx 5.76eV##.

For the second part we can rewrite
    ##n=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( \frac{k_BT}{2\pi \sqrt{ab}}\right)^{3/2}e^{-E_g/(2k_BT)}##
    plugging in the numbers here we get ##n \approx 1.45\cdot 10^{-9} Å^{-3}= 1.45\cdot 10^{21} m^{-3}##. However the answer claims I should get ##3.9\cdot 10^{23}m^{-3}##.

Any obvious error I'm doing or is the answer incorrect here? The factor in front can change a bit from simply changing ##k_BT## and the answer may be by a factor 2 as well if they mean ##n+p## but the factor of 100 is troubling.

Here is the numerical calculation in matlab
    Code (Text):

eg=0.5;
    kbt = 25.7e-3;
    sqab=sqrt(15);
    c=1e30*(kbt/(2*pi*sqab))^(3/2)*exp(-eg/kbt/2)/sqrt(2)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where did the "2 π" in the denominator come from? I got just π. This will change the value from 1.45 to about 4 but I agree with you that the power of 10 is +21 given your numbers.

4. Mar 12, 2017 #3
    It's from the 2 in the effective masses ##\left( \frac{k_BT}{\pi \hbar^2}\right)^{3/2}(m_e^*m_h^*)^{3/4} =\left( \frac{k_BT}{\pi \hbar^2}\right)^{3/2}\left(\frac{\hbar^2 \hbar^2}{(2a)(2b)}\right)^{3/4}=\left( \frac{k_BT}{\pi \hbar^2}\right)^{3/2}\left(\frac{\hbar^2}{2\sqrt{ab}}\right)^{3/2}##.
    Anyway I take your answer as confirmation that I'm using the correct method so despite the answer being different I think it can be considered solved! Thanks for looking it over!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted