Intro to moving charges in a particle

In summary, the movement of electrons when one material is charged negatively by rubbing it on a second material is dependent on the ability of one material to grab electrons and the weakly held electrons of the other material. Vinegar is a better electrolyte than water in a wet cell type because it easily splits into oppositely charged ions. A complete circuit is required for continuous flow of current to prevent charge build up. Conventional current and electron flow differ in their direction, and the alternating current system was chosen in Canada for its ability to easily transform voltage and its efficiency in long distance transmission.
grade11
Can anyone describe to me what happens to electrons when one material is charged negatively by rybbing it on a second material, what must be different about the materials for this to work?

And why does vinigear act as such a better electrolyte then water in a wet cell type?

Why is a complete curcuit required in order to have a continoius flow of current?

Can anyone explain the difference between conventuoional current and electron flow? why were they both developed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good questions - not sure how deep an answer you need (sorry I'm a Brit I don't know what age grade 11 means);

grade11 said:
Can anyone describe to me what happens to electrons when one material is charged negatively by rybbing it on a second material, what must be different about the materials for this to work?
In simple terms electrons get pulled off one material and end up on the other.
One of two materials must have a strong ability to grab new electrons and the other must have weakly held electrons that can be pulled off.

And why does vinigear act as such a better electrolyte then water in a wet cell type?
Because it splits easily into oppositely charged ions which can move to carry charge through the circuit. Water although weakly charged itself doesn't split.

Why is a complete curcuit required in order to have a continoius flow of current?
Because otherwise charge will build up at the ends and oppose the flow of more charge, flow of charge = current.

Can anyone explain the difference between conventuoional current and electron flow? why were they both developed?
conventional current is a flow from positive to negative, it was decided to name it this way before electrons were discovered - it is completely arbitrary, just like putting north at the top of maps. By the tme it was discovered that electrons being negatively charged move toward positive there were too many books, laws and trained electrical engineers to change it! This happens a lot in science!

Wow thanks for answering all that lol it had the perfect answeres to my questions and i understood it too good job THANKS!

ohh i have another question... how is direct current different from alternating curent? Why do you thinkk the alternating current system was chosen in Canada?

ohh i have another question... how is direct current different from alternating curent? Why do you thinkk the alternating current system was chosen in Canada?

Direct current is a constant voltage, like a battery.
Alternating current varies in a voltage with time.

The main advantage of AC is that you can use a transformer to change the voltage very easily and efficently.
This is important because electricity flowing in wires wastes energy as heat. The higher voltage you use the less power you waste, so long distance electric wires run at upto 500,000 volts which is then converted down to 110V before reaching your house.
Also early electric motors were easier to build as AC rather than DC and originally most electricity was used to run motors in factories.

In an AC system the voltage can be described by
[tex]V(t) = V_0 \sin{(\omega t)}[/tex]

In a DC system the voltage is constant

Here is a good lesson
http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/ac.htm

Or try
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com

"The major advantage that AC electricity has over DC is that AC voltages can be transformed to higher or lower voltages. This means that the high voltages used to send electricity over great distances from the power station could be reduced to a safer voltage for use in the house."

AC Power also allows the creation of filters by exploiting how Capacitors and Inductors react to different frequencies.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a moving charge in a particle?

A moving charge in a particle refers to an electrically charged particle, such as an electron, that is in motion. This motion creates an electric current and magnetic field.

2. How does a moving charge in a particle create a magnetic field?

When a charged particle moves, it creates a magnetic field around it due to its electric charge. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the magnitude of the charge and the speed of the particle.

3. What is the relationship between moving charges and electric current?

Moving charges are the fundamental building blocks of electric current. When charges flow through a conductor, they create an electric current.

4. How do moving charges in a particle behave in a magnetic field?

Moving charges in a particle experience a force when placed in a magnetic field. The direction of this force is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the particle.

5. What is the significance of moving charges in particles in technology?

Moving charges in particles play a crucial role in many technological applications, such as electricity generation, motors, and particle accelerators. Understanding their behavior is essential in the development of new technologies.