Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invariant quantities for antimatter

1. Jul 26, 2006 #1
    Since antiparticles have reversed proper time, can I conclude that all invariants are reversed for antiparticles?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2006 #2
    a tumbleweed rolls by...
  4. Jul 27, 2006 #3
    What exactly do you mean by this? I can't see anything which would imply such an assertion. :confused:

There is really no such thing as an "anti-particle." The meaning of the term "anti-particle" refers to opposite properties of a particle. E.g. one could define the term "neutron" to refer to what we normally call a 'neutron' and then refer to the 'anti-neutron' as "neutron." Thus what we call the "anti-particle" refers merely the opposite of a given particle. I.e. the anti-particle of the anti-neutron is the neutron.

The term "reversed proper time" makes no sense. The phrase "proper time" refers to the time between two events as the time as measured by a clock which travels on a specified worldline between the two events. This is true of all tardyon's (i.e. particles which travel at v < c).

Perhaps you're confusing this with tachyons??

5. Jul 27, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jul 27, 2006 #5
  7. Jul 28, 2006 #6
    I don't think Feynman said that positrons move back in time. I believe what he said was that one could view a positron as an electron which is moving backwards in time.

8. Jul 28, 2006 #7
    Yes, I think I made an oversimplification in my mind. Let's continue this
    after I do some more learning.
  9. Jul 28, 2006 #8
    There is an old paper by Bondi about negative mass. Since I only have negative money, can someone send it to me?
  10. Jul 28, 2006 #9
    Sure. PM your email address to me and I'll send it to you within a day or so (since I'll have to find it and then scan it and convert it to PDF).

11. Jul 28, 2006 #10
    Please send it to actionintegral@yahoo.com

Much, Much obliged!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?