Inverse Fourier Transform of $\frac{b}{\pi(x^2+b^2)}$: Solving the Problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
buttersrocks
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need to take the inverse Fourier transform of

[tex]\frac{b}{\pi(x^2+b^2)}[/tex]

Homework Equations



f(t)=[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{itx}\frac{b}{\pi(x^2+b^2)}dx[/tex]

It might be useful that [tex]\frac{2b}{\pi(x^2+b^2)}=\frac{1}{b+ix}+\frac{1}{b-ix}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I know the result is [tex]e^{(-b|t|)}[/tex], and I can get from [tex]e^{(-b|t|)}[/tex] to
[tex]\frac{b}{\pi(x^2+b^2)}[/tex], but how do I do it in reverse if I didn't already know the pair existed? This doesn't require complex integration does it?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have to admit my first thought was a contour integral...

In my experience, things involving |x| tend to require them.
 
It is a standard contour integral. Close the contour with a semicircle above the real axis.
 
Okay guys, thanks, that is what I was thinking, but the book I'm in doesn't have anything else involving complex integration, so I assumed that I was just missing a trick.