Determining Form factor from density distribution

Rayan
Homework Statement
Show that the form factor of density distribution $$ \rho (r) $$ is $$F(q^2) $$
Relevant Equations
$$ \rho (r) = \rho_0 \cdot e^{-\frac{r}{R}} $$
$$F(q^2) = \frac{8\pi \rho_0 R^3}{1 + \frac{q^2R62}{h^2} }$$
So my first thought was that I can just use Fourier trick and integrate:

$$ F(q^2) = \int_V \rho(r) \cdot e^{ i \frac{ \vec{q} \cdot \vec{r} }{h} } d^3r $$

$$ F(q^2) = 2\pi \rho_0 \int_0^{\infty} r^2 \cdot e^\frac{-r}{R} dr \cdot \int_0^{\pi} \sin{\theta} \cdot e^{ -i \frac{q \cdot r \cos(\theta) }{h} } d\theta $$

$$ F(q^2) = 2\pi \rho_0 \frac{-h}{iq} ( \frac{ e^{ i \frac{q \cdot r }{h} } - e^{ -i \frac{q \cdot r }{h} } }{r} ) \int_0^{\infty} r^2 \cdot e^{\frac{-r}{R}} dr $$

$$ F(q^2) = \frac{-4\pi h \rho_0}{q} \int_0^{\infty} \sin(\frac{qr}{h}) e^{\frac{-r}{R}} \cdot r dr $$

But the integral is very complicated, which probably means I missed up somewhere on the way, but I can't really see it! Any tips?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rayan said:
$$ F(q^2) = 2\pi \rho_0 \frac{-h}{iq} ( \frac{ e^{ i \frac{q \cdot r }{h} } - e^{ -i \frac{q \cdot r }{h} } }{r} ) \int_0^{\infty} r^2 \cdot e^{\frac{-r}{R}} dr $$
The expression in parentheses is a function of ##r## and should be inside the integral. Instead of combining the two exponentials into a sine function, you might try leaving them as exponential functions. Can you work out the following integral? $$\int_0^{\infty} e^{ i \frac{q \cdot r }{h}}\cdot e^{\frac{-r}{R}} rdr $$

Likes Rayan
TSny said:
The expression in parentheses is a function of ##r## and should be inside the integral. Instead of combining the two exponentials into a sine function, you might try leaving them as exponential functions. Can you work out the following integral? $$\int_0^{\infty} e^{ i \frac{q \cdot r }{h}}\cdot e^{\frac{-r}{R}} rdr $$
You're totally right! I managed to solve this integral instead and got the right answer! Thank you so much!!:)

Likes TSny

1. What is the purpose of determining form factor from density distribution?

The purpose of determining form factor from density distribution is to understand the shape and structure of a molecule or object. This information can provide insights into its physical and chemical properties, as well as its behavior in different environments.

2. How is form factor calculated from density distribution?

Form factor is calculated by taking the Fourier transform of the density distribution. This mathematical operation converts the spatial distribution of electron density into a representation of the molecule's shape in reciprocal space.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of form factor determination?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of form factor determination, including experimental errors, sample preparation techniques, and the resolution of the data. Additionally, the shape and composition of the molecule itself can also impact the accuracy of the calculated form factor.

4. How can form factor determination be used in different scientific fields?

Form factor determination has a wide range of applications in various scientific fields, including chemistry, biology, material science, and physics. It can be used to study the structure of molecules, proteins, and other biomolecules, as well as to understand the properties of materials and their behavior under different conditions.

5. What are some techniques used for determining form factor from density distribution?

There are several techniques used for determining form factor from density distribution, including X-ray crystallography, electron microscopy, and small-angle scattering. Each technique has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the type of sample and the information needed.