1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse function of a parabola

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    from a graph of a function ( i obtained the graphg by doing a translation and y-scaling) g(x)= 1/3(x-2)^2 -3 b (x in [2:5]) i can see that g is increasing and so it is a one-one function and an image set is [-3;0]. so therefore the function g has an unverse function g^-1 .

so i can find the rule of g^-1 by solving this equations:

y=g(x)=1/3 (x-2)^2 -3

to obtain x in term of y

i have y=1/3(x-2)^2 -3 that is x= +or-3sqrt-1/9 - 1/3y is this right ?
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the whole point of being "one-to-one" is that you have one value, not two.
    Unfortunately, you didn't show HOW you solve for x so I can't comment but that surely does not look right! (It's hard to be sure since you don't use parentheses to show what you really mean.) You are correct that when x= 2, y= -3. If you take y= -3 in the formula you give, do you get x= 0? When you take x= 5, y= g(5)= 0. When you take y= 0 in your equation, do you get x= 5?

If y= (1/3)(x-2)^2- 3 with x between 2 and 5, then y+ 3= (1/3)(x-2)^2, (x-2)^2= 3(y+3) x-2= sqrt(3(y+3)) and finally x= 2+ sqrt(3(y+3)). The PLUS is used rather than the MINUS because x must be larger than 2. Finally, don't forget to write the solution itself:
    g-1(x)= 2+ sqrt(3(x+3)).
  4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    thank hallsofivy you have just confirm what i though that theyr were something wrong in my result =.

i tackle this equation by comoleting thr squares of a quadratic eqautions,and i think this is where i got confused by the two result i was looking for! lol
    the domain of g(x) is given to us as x in [2;5] so i can't really argue this.

i solved the g^-1 by rearranging g(x)

y=1/3(x-2)^2 -3 , 1/3(x-2)^2=-3-y , (x-2)^2= -1/9-1/3y, x-3= SQRT-1/9-1/3y hence
    x=3 SQRT-1/3-1/3y

thank you again i undersrtood were i got wrong in this it was quite obvious really lol
  5. Nov 16, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This first step is incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?