1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse gamma distribution & simulated annealing problem

1. Dec 24, 2007 #1
    I've hit a problem trying to sample an inverse gamma distribution, 'scaled' using a temperature variable, T. If my distribution is defined as (where the normalising constant k=(b^a)/Gamma(a) ):
    IG(x|a,b) = k * x^(-a-1) * exp(-b/x)
    then the scaled version is
    (IG(x|a,b))^(1/T) = k^(1/T) * x^(-(-a+1)/T) * exp(-b/(Tx)).
    which I want to sample as part of a simulated annealing procedure.

If I am not mistaken, this is also proportional to a new IG distribution, IG(x|a',b')
    where a'+1 = (a+1)/T and b'=b/T. Hence a' = (a+1-T)/T.
    The problem is however, that a' and b' should be strictly > 0 for the distribution to be valid. Thus for temperatures T>a+1, a' becomes negative and the samples can't be drawn.
    (However I can still evaluate the IG pdf for a'<0... so I'm not sure
    why the condition is strictly necessary? Is it just a physical
    interpretation?)

I can do the sampling for X~IG(a',b') by transformation of a Gamma variate
    G(x|a,b)=k * x^(a-1) exp(-bx)
    by drawing Y~G(a',b') and letting X=1/Y.

Now the strange thing is if I apply the same temperature scaling to the Gamma distribution, I get the new transformation to a Gamma distribution with
    a' = (a-1+T)/T
    which will always be positive for all T>=1 if a>0. As whether I'm working with x or 1/x (and therefore working with the IG or Gamma) should be purely a matter of convenience, and not depend on which definition I start from, there is something at odds here...

I've probably missed something obvious but I can't think what it is. Any suggestions appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am somewhat unclear as to why you'd like to scale the pdf in the way you described. The usual approach is to scale the random variable itself, say Y = sX for a scaling constant s > 0; and if X ~ Gamma(a, b) then Y ~ Gamma(a, sb).

In the usual meaning of "scaling," parameter a is not affected because it is not a scaling parameter -- parameter b is.

4. Dec 25, 2007 #3
    I'm not referring to this normal type of "scaling", I'm referring to raising the whole distribution to a power 1/T which effectively "broadens" the distribution. In the case of a Gaussian, the effect is indeed simply to increase the variance. The reason I want to do this is to increase convergence rates in MCMC, by searching the space faster using simulated annealing (actually for a better explanation in terms of the pdf and not just an energy function, see chapter 6, page 88 in this tech report)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?