Inverse of a Matrix M as a Product of Elementary Row Operations. Uniqueness?

In summary, the inverse matrix of a matrix M can be found using elementary row operations (EROs) in reduced-row-echelon format, ending with the identity matrix. These EROs can be done in different orders and may involve swapping rows or working with fractions. However, the inverse matrix is unique and can be guaranteed by using any numerical method that produces an inverse matrix.
Bacle
Hi, Everyone:

A question about finding the inverse of a matrix M using elementary

row operations (ERO's) E_k (where E_k is either a row-exchange, a scaling

of a row by k, or adding the multiple of one row to another row )

to do row-reduction in reduced-row-echelon

format, to end with the identity, which will have the form :

(E_k*E_(k-1)*...*E_2*E_1)*M=I

My doubt is that these ERO's may be done in different order, and

ERO matrices do not generally commute with each other. Also, the

process of row-reduction may be done in different ways: in some

cases, we may choose, e.g., to swap rows, and in other cases, we

may not. Bottom line is that we may arrive at the identity matrix

I in more than one way, i.e., by applying, in each case, different

sets of ERO's. As a specific example, I am thinking that, in one

choice, we may swap rows if the first row has leading coefficient

larger than 1 to avoid working with fractions, using matrices E_k. In another choice, we

may not swap rows, and work with fractions. In these two cases,

we are using different matrices E_k' to find the inverse of M. How

can we then guarantee that the products:

E_k*E_(k-1)*...*E_2*E_1

E_j' *E'_(j-1)*...*E_2'*E_1'

are equal to each other?

How can we then guarantee that the inverse matrix M that we

get this way-- As the product matrix E_k*E_(k-1)*...*E_2*E_1 is unique--as an inverse

must be?

Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you said, the inverse matrix is unique. If B and C satisfy AB = BA = I and AC = CA = I, then
AB = AC
BAB = BAC
IB = IC
B = C

So if you have any numerical method that produces AN inverse matrix, you have found THE (unique) inverse matrix.

Sure, there an many ways to find the inverse with EROs, just like there are many ways to solve linear equations with EROs

1. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, the inverse of a matrix "cancels out" the original matrix and returns the identity matrix.

2. What are elementary row operations?

Elementary row operations are a set of three operations that can be performed on a matrix: multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, adding a multiple of one row to another, and swapping two rows. These operations are used to manipulate a matrix in order to find its inverse.

3. How is the inverse of a matrix found using elementary row operations?

The inverse of a matrix can be found by starting with the original matrix and applying the elementary row operations until the matrix is transformed into the identity matrix. The same operations must then be applied to the identity matrix, and the resulting matrix is the inverse of the original matrix.

4. Is the inverse of a matrix always unique?

Yes, the inverse of a matrix is always unique. This is because the elementary row operations used to find the inverse are reversible, meaning that the same operations can be used to transform the inverse back into the original matrix. Therefore, there can only be one inverse for a given matrix.

5. How can we prove that the inverse of a matrix is unique?

The uniqueness of the inverse of a matrix can be proven by contradiction. Suppose there are two distinct inverses, A and B, for a given matrix M. This means that MA = I (identity matrix) and MB = I. By multiplying both equations, we get MAB = I. However, since the inverse is unique, this means that A must be equal to B. This contradicts our initial assumption of A and B being distinct, thus proving the uniqueness of the inverse.