How to Derive the Inverse of the Sum of Two Operators?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter poonintoon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse Operators Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 9K views
poonintoon
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I am trying to show that for two operators S and P:
[tex](S+P)^{-1}=S^{-1}-S^{-1}P(S+P)^{-1}[/tex]
I can't get anywhere and searching on google I am not even sure if it is possible
to solve the general case but the question gives no more hints.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.
J.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to show that [tex](S^{-1}-S^{-1}P(S+P)^{-1})(S+P)=I[/tex]. Id begin by multiplying both sides by S...
 
poonintoon said:
Hi,
I am trying to show that for two operators S and P:
[tex](S+P)^{-1}=S^{-1}-S^{-1}P(S+P)^{-1}[/tex]
I can't get anywhere and searching on google I am not even sure if it is possible
to solve the general case but the question gives no more hints.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.
J.
Are you sure about this? The standard way to show that A is the multiplicative inverse of B is to multiply them together to show that you get the identity. But if we multiply both sides, on the right, by S+ P we get
[tex](S+ P)^{-1}(S+ P)= S^{-1}(S+ P)+ S^{-1}P(S+P)^{-1}(S+P)[/tex]
[tex]I= S^{-1}S+ S^{-1}P+ S^{-1}= I+ S^{-1}(P+ S)[/tex]
[tex]S^{-1}(P+S)= 0[/tex]
which is certainly not always true!
 
Your approach was correct but you made an error, Halls.

poonintoon: Follow Hall's approach and you will have your proof.
 
Just a quick curiosity, but how would you find that inverse without having known it in the first place? Surely it wasn't found by simply trying different functions was it?
 
Anonymous217 said:
Just a quick curiosity, but how would you find that inverse without having known it in the first place?
It exists. That's all one needs to know. Well, that and the fact that operators form a ring.
 
Anonymous217 said:
Just a quick curiosity, but how would you find that inverse without having known it in the first place? Surely it wasn't found by simply trying different functions was it?
Why not? That's a well respected method!
 
HallsofIvy said:
Why not? That's a well respected method!
Well, I was hopeful of some type of actual procedure so that it could be applied to more complicated operations, but I guess not.