The meaning of the commutator for two operators

In summary, the commutator of the two operators in the given example, after factorization, is 1, and this commutation relation is used to solve the ODE. However, this can only work on that eqn, and not when a commutator is far more complex than 1, as in the given example of the Schrödinger eqn.
SemM
Gold Member
Hi, what is the true meaning and usefulness of the commutator in:

\begin{equation}
[T, T'] \ne 0
\end{equation}

and how can it be used to solve a parent ODE?

In a book on QM, the commutator of the two operators of the Schrödinger eqn, after factorization, is 1, and this commutation relation is used to solve the ODE. However, this can only work on that eqn, and not when a commutator is far more complex than 1, as in the given example of the Schrödinger eqn:

I have an ODE which has the following operators with the commutator:\begin{equation}
[T, T'] = -2i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}
\end{equation}

what does it really say about the ODE and it's properties? Can it be used to solve the ODE or re-write it in a different manner?The operators are:

T = ##\bigg(i\hbar d/dx +\gamma)##
T' = ##\bigg(-i\hbar d/dx +\gamma)##

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
SemM said:
Hi, what is the true meaning and usefulness of the commutator in:

\begin{equation}
[T, T'] \ne 0
\end{equation}

[Some stuff deleted]

The operators are:

T = ##\bigg(i\hbar d/dx +\gamma)##
T' = ##\bigg(-i\hbar d/dx +\gamma)##

Thanks!

[itex]\gamma[/itex] is just a constant? In that case, [itex][T, T'] = 0[/itex] for those two operators.

Likes SemM
Hi SenM,
As I know, when we have two operators act on a function, in general, we cannot change their order arbitrarily like our mood.
So ##\hat{A}\hat{B}\psi(x)## means that operator ##\hat{B}## must act on function ##\psi(x)## first, and then operator ##\hat{A}## acts on the result of ##\hat{B}\psi(x)## later, that's the rule.
For example, we have two operators ##\hat{A}## and ##\hat{B}##, with
$$\hat{A} \psi(x)=a\psi(x)$$ $$\hat{B}\psi(x)=b\psi(x)$$ (just that function multiply by a real number ##a,b##)
The formula of commutator of 2 operators is:
$$[\hat{A},\hat{B}]=\hat{A}\hat{B}-\hat{B}\hat{A}$$
So their commutator is $$[\hat{A},\hat{B}]\psi(x)=(\hat{A}\hat{B}-\hat{B}\hat{A})\psi(x)=ab\psi(x)-ba\psi(x)=0$$
We say that they are "commute" with each other, so you can act ##\hat{A}## on ##\psi(x)## first or ##\hat{B}## on ##\psi(x)##first, it doesn't matter, same result.
Another example, we have two operators ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{p}## (momentum operator), with $$\hat{x}\psi(x)=x⋅\psi(x)$$ $$\hat{p}\psi(x)=-i\hbar\frac {\partial } {\partial x}\psi(x)$$
Their commutator is $$[\hat{x},\hat{p}]\psi(x)=(\hat{x}\hat{p}-\hat{p}\hat{x})\psi(x)=x⋅\left[-i\hbar\frac {\partial } {\partial x}\psi(x)\right]+i\hbar\frac {\partial } {\partial x}\left[x⋅\psi(x)\right]=i\hbar\psi(x)≠0$$
So they are "not commute" with each other, so if we have ##\hat{x}\hat{p}\psi(x)##, we can't let ##\hat{x}## acts on ##\psi(x)## before ##\hat{p}##, just try and you will see the different result!
So the calculation of "commutator" (just in this field, I don't know about commutator in abstract algebra like Group, Ring, Field,...) just let us know that the order of operators is arbitrary or not, which one can act first.
Too long example! Back to your operators ##\hat{T}## & ##\hat{T'}##, I see that if ##\gamma## is a constant, they are "commute" with each other, can't be ##-2i\hbar\frac {d} {dx}##!
Something wrong? Could you upload the whole question/exercise for us?

Likes SemM
Nguyen Son said:
Something wrong? Could you upload the whole question/exercise for us?

Thanks Son!

Take:

##T = (ihd/dx + \gamma)##
##T' = (-ihd/dx + \gamma)##

Multiply out:

TT' = ##(ihd/dx + \gamma) \times (-ihd/dx + \gamma) = h^2 d^2/dx^2 + ihd/dx \gamma (0) -\gamma ihd/dx + \gamma^2##
T'T = ##(-ihd/dx + \gamma) \times (ihd/dx + \gamma) = h^2 d^2/dx^2 - ihd/dx \gamma (0) +\gamma ihd/dx + \gamma^2##

This yields :

##[TT'] = h^2 d^2/dx^2 -\gamma ihd/dx + \gamma^2 - (h^2 d^2/dx^2 +\gamma ihd/dx + \gamma^2)##

##[TT'] = -2\gamma ihd/dx##

Can you confirm that this is not wrong, or if it is why that minus doesn't disappear in the second non-vanishing term ##-\gamma ihd/dx - (\gamma ihd/dx) ##?

What is it that makes ##ih\; {d\over dx} \gamma(0)## disappear ? (bearing in mind the thing is an operator) ?

BvU said:
What is it that makes ##ih\; {d\over dx} \gamma(0)## disappear ? (bearing in mind the thing is an operator) ?
No, this is the derivation of a constant ##\gamma## times 0. That makes 0.

Nguyen Son said:
Sorry for my laziness
https://imgur.com/a/vF0NN
So ##\left[\hat{T},\hat{T'}\right]=0##
I am sorry, but I think you all have made a mistake here.

The sequence of operation of:

## ihd/dx \times \gamma \ne \gamma \times ihd/dx ##

The former yields the derivation of the constant ##\gamma## which gives 0. The second gives the ##\gamma i h ## times derivative operator, which can then act on some function ##\psi##
Please check! That is the whole core of this post.

SemM said:
No, this is the derivation of a constant ##\gamma## times 0. That makes 0.
Where did that (0) come from ?

Have you a good idea of what a commutator is ?

BvU said:
Where did that (0) come from ?

Have you a good idea of what a commutator is ?

Sorry for confusion, that zero is just to say that that term is 0. Please see my previous post.

It is not. The derivative of something times a constant is that constant times the derivative.

BvU said:
It is not. The derivative of something times a constant is that constant times the derivative.

But the function ##\psi## is multiplied to the operators at last, because it is on the right. Doesn't the position (left or right) supersede the nature of what is multiplied to the operator?

Correct. So ##{d\over dx} \gamma\Psi - \gamma {d\over dx }\Psi = 0 ##

BvU said:
Correct. So ##{d\over dx} \gamma\Psi - \gamma {d\over dx }\Psi = 0 ##

What you write here I have no problem with. However, I am pretty sure that what happens in the brackets would be first "to decide"? Then outside the brackets (##\psi##) comes later?

Uclear what you mean. ##T, T', TT', T'T ## and ##[T,T']## are all operators.
I am referring to the cross terms in your commutators: unlike you think, they cancel. Post #13 (:rolleyes:) should be clear to you, but I suspect it isn't, given your reply in #14.

BvU said:
Uclear what you mean. ##T, T', TT', T'T ## and ##[T,T']## are all operators.
I am referring to the cross terms in your commutators: unlike you think, they cancel. Post #13 (:rolleyes:) should be clear to you, but I suspect it isn't, given your reply in #14.

This was actually taught to me by a Professor in QM, that :

## \gamma d/dx \ne d/dx \gamma##

because the latter is zero

Goes to show that even a professorate isn't adequate protection -- but I suspect the poor chap is misquoted somehow.

Ask any mathematician (or math student): With gamma constant, $$ {d\over dx }\Bigl \{ \gamma [{\rm something}] \Bigr \} = \Biggl \{ {d\over dx }\gamma\Biggr \} [{\rm something}] + \gamma {d\over dx } [{\rm samething}] = 0 +\gamma {d\over dx } [{\rm samething}] = \gamma {d\over dx } [{\rm samething}]$$

Likes SemM
SemM said:
This was actually taught to me by a Professor in QM, that :

## \gamma d/dx \ne d/dx \gamma##

because the latter is zero

That is not correct. [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \gamma \neq 0[/itex]. Why not?

What's confusing is that an expression such as [itex]\gamma[/itex] is ambiguous:
  • It might be interpreted as a function, whose value is constant.
  • It might be interpreted as an operator on functions, that returns a multiple of the original function.
An operator is something that takes a function and returns a different function.

Commutators work on operators. When you write a product of two operators [itex]A B[/itex] the meaning of that is NOT [itex]A[/itex] acting on [itex]B[/itex]. The meaning is that [itex]A B[/itex] is a new operator whose action on a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] is given by:

[itex]A B f(x) = A (B f(x))[/itex]

First, you operate using [itex]B[/itex]. The result is a new function. Then you let [itex]A[/itex] operate on that.

So the meaning of [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \gamma[/itex] is NOT "take the derivative of the constant function [itex]\gamma[/itex]". As an operator, it is defined by:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx} \gamma f(x) = \frac{d}{dx} (\gamma f(x)) = \gamma \frac{d}{dx} f(x) = \gamma \frac{df}{dx}[/itex]

First, you let [itex]\gamma[/itex] operate on [itex]f(x)[/itex] to produce a constant multiple of the original function, [itex]\gamma f(x)[/itex]. Then you let [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] operate on that.

So the result of letting [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \gamma[/itex] act on [itex]f(x)[/itex] is to produce [itex]\gamma \frac{df}{dx}[/itex]. Which is not zero.

As an operator equation, we can write:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx} \gamma = \gamma \frac{d}{dx}[/itex]

In other words, as operators, [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] commute.

Likes SemM
stevendaryl said:
As an operator equation, we can write:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx} \gamma = \gamma \frac{d}{dx}[/itex]

In other words, as operators, [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] commute.
This was completely new to me!

So, when ##\gamma## is a constant, ##\frac{d}{dx} \gamma \ne 0## , when ##\frac{d}{dx}## acts on some function f?

BvU said:
Goes to show that even a professorate isn't adequate protection -- but I suspect the poor chap is misquoted somehow.

I think he has been misquoted. I am probably to blame, not him.

BvU said:
Ask any mathematician (or math student): With gamma constant, $$ {d\over dx }\Bigl \{ \gamma [{\rm something}] \Bigr \} = \Biggl \{ {d\over dx }\gamma\Biggr \} [{\rm something}] + \gamma {d\over dx } [{\rm samething}] = 0 +\gamma {d\over dx } [{\rm samething}] = \gamma {d\over dx } [{\rm samething}]$$
Does this mean that this accounts ALSO for variables (which I wouldn't think so). So, this would be correct:

## xd/dx \psi \ne d/dx x \psi##

right?

Sure, because $$\frac{d}{dx}(x\psi)=x\frac{d\psi}{dx}+\psi\frac{dx}{dx}=x\frac{d\psi}{dx}+\psi \neq x\frac{d\psi}{dx}$$

Likes SemM
Nguyen Son said:
Sure, because $$\frac{d}{dx}(x\psi)=x\frac{d\psi}{dx}+\psi\frac{dx}{dx}=x\frac{d\psi}{dx}+\psi \neq x\frac{d\psi}{dx}$$

Thanks!

You are welcome :wink:

1. What is the commutator for two operators?

The commutator for two operators is a mathematical operation that measures the degree of non-commutativity between the two operators. It is denoted by [A,B] and is defined as AB-BA.

2. Why is the commutator important in quantum mechanics?

The commutator is important in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle. It also plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of quantum systems.

3. How is the commutator related to the uncertainty principle?

The commutator is related to the uncertainty principle through the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that the product of uncertainties in the measurements of two non-commuting operators must be greater than or equal to a certain value determined by the commutator.

4. What does a non-zero commutator indicate?

A non-zero commutator indicates that the two operators do not commute, meaning that their measurements cannot be simultaneously known with arbitrary precision. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and reflects the probabilistic nature of the quantum world.

5. How does the commutator affect the behavior of quantum systems?

The commutator affects the behavior of quantum systems by determining the allowed values and properties of the system. It also impacts the dynamics of the system, as the commutator is used to calculate the evolution of quantum states over time. In short, the commutator plays a crucial role in understanding and describing the behavior of quantum systems.