IPhone Settings : Attempts at the Password before Locking Out

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iphone
In summary, if you enter the wrong passcode on your iPhone Lock Screen too many times, your iPhone will be disabled and you will need to use a computer to put it in recovery mode. This process will delete your data and settings, but you can restore them from a backup or set up your iPhone as a new device. This is different from changing the passcode when buying an Android, as Apple has a different process.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I forget password in my iPhone 8 plus, and phone locks out after just 3 attempt. How can I change the settings to extend number of trials before phone locks me out?
A friend of mine has an iPhone 8 plus . Security seems over the top, requiring passwords at all levels. Are there any settings that determine the number of tries before locking? If so, where is it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
i was going to say you change it when you choose to buy an Android at the store. But Apple has a different answer.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306\
If you enter the wrong passcode on your iPhone Lock Screen too many times, an alert let's you know that your iPhone is disabled. If you can’t remember your passcode when you try again, you need to use a computer to put your iPhone in recovery mode. This process deletes your data and settings, including your passcode, giving you access to set up your iPhone again.

After you erase your iPhone, you can restore your data and settings from backup. If you didn't back up your iPhone, you can set it up as a new device and then download any data that you have in iCloud.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker and WWGD
anorlunda said:
i was going to say you change it when you choose to buy an Android at the store. But Apple has a different answer.
Thank you, but link gives you a "Page cannot be found"

Likes WWGD

1. What happens if I enter the wrong password too many times on my iPhone?

If you enter the wrong password too many times on your iPhone, it will become disabled for a certain period of time. After multiple incorrect attempts, the device will display a message stating that it is disabled and to try again in a certain amount of time. If you continue to enter incorrect passwords, the device may eventually become permanently disabled and you will need to reset it using iTunes or iCloud.

2. How many attempts do I have to enter the correct password on my iPhone?

The number of attempts allowed on an iPhone before it becomes disabled varies depending on the device's settings. By default, the device will allow six attempts before it becomes disabled for one minute. After the first six attempts, the time period for the device to become disabled will increase with each subsequent attempt.

3. Can I change the number of attempts allowed before my iPhone becomes disabled?

Yes, you can change the number of attempts allowed on your iPhone by going into the device's settings and selecting "Touch ID & Passcode" or "Face ID & Passcode" depending on the model. From there, you can adjust the settings for "Require Passcode" and select the option for "Immediately" or a certain time period.

4. What happens if I forget my iPhone passcode?

If you forget your iPhone passcode, you will need to reset the device using iTunes or iCloud. This will erase all data on the device, so it is important to regularly back up your iPhone to avoid losing important information. You can also use the "Find My" app to remotely erase your device if you have that feature enabled.

5. Can I retrieve the data on my iPhone if it becomes permanently disabled?

If your iPhone becomes permanently disabled, you will not be able to retrieve the data on the device. This is why it is important to regularly back up your iPhone to avoid losing important information. You can also enable the "Find My" app to remotely erase your device and prevent anyone from accessing your personal data.