Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrational circles about the orgin

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1
    I recall a post previously where the Op was wondering if any circle about the orgin having an irrational radius could pass through a rational point. The answer then was if the irrational radius was the square root of the sum of two rational squares then of course.

Now I am wondering what if the radius was a non-algebraic number? Could that circle pass through a rational point?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2
    Hint: Suppose that r is transcendental and is the radius of a circle centered at the origin. Show that the existence of a rational point on this circle implies that r is algebraic.

4. Dec 8, 2012 #3
    I was thinking that way but then I was wondering if transcendental numbers actually exist since it seems strange to me that one could travel a full circle and not come upon a rational point. Sorry but I have other things that I am working on and don't have time to look up the theory of transcendental numbers for now.

5. Dec 8, 2012 #4
    I'm honestly confused at this point. You used the term "non-algebraic number" in your original post. Non-algebraic numbers are exactly the same as transcendental numbers (if we're confining this discussion to real numbers). If I changed my hint to

Hint: Suppose that r is non-algebraic and is the radius of a circle centered at the origin. Show that the existence of a rational point on this circle implies that r is algebraic.

would that make more sense?

6. Dec 8, 2012 #5
    Yes I can see that x^2 + y^2 = r^2 would make r algebraic, but my real question was how can one move completely around a circle without passing over a rational point. Didn't that call into question the existance of non-algebraic values as real numbers?
    PS, I took a look at some of the information of non-algebraic (transcendental) numbers and guess that they do exist. Moreover I noted that there are far more algebraic irrational numbers and transcendental numbers, so I guess that it must be true that such a circle has no rational point lying thereon.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook