Irrational Numbers a and b used in various expressions

Yes, that is correct. Great job summarizing the content and providing examples for each case! In summary, we provided examples of irrational numbers a and b such that the indicated expressions are (a) rational and (b) irrational. We found that for addition, multiplication, and subtraction, irrational numbers can result in both rational and irrational outcomes, while for division, irrational numbers will always result in an irrational outcome.
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Give an example of irrational numbers a
and b such that the indicated expression is (a) rational and (b) irrational.
Relevant Equations
None.

1. a +b

2. a•b

3. a/b

4. a - b

What exactly is this question asking for? Can someone rephrase the statement above?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nycmathguy said:
Homework Statement:: Give an example of irrational numbers a
Relevant Equations:: None.

1. a +b

2. a•b

3. a/b

4. a - b

What exactly is this question asking for? Can someone rephrase the statement above?

Thanks
The four parts of this question are pretty clearly stated. Perhaps you don't know what the terms "rational" and "irrational" in the context of numbers. Can you give a couple examples of rational numbers? A couple more of irrational numbers?

Does your textbook provide definitions and examples of these?

Likes Keith_McClary
OK, so there are 8 questions here. I'll only do the first two, the other 6 are pretty obvious, it's only the arithmetic operation that changes:

1a) Find two numbers a and b, each irrational, such that a+b is a rational number.
1b) Find two numbers a and b, each irrational, such that a+b is an irrational number.
---

I don't think it can be expressed in a simpler form. You will need to know what rational and irrational numbers are.

DaveE said:
OK, so there are 8 questions here. I'll only do the first two, the other 6 are pretty obvious, it's only the arithmetic operation that changes:

1a) Find two numbers a and b, each irrational, such that a+b is a rational number.
1b) Find two numbers a and b, each irrational, such that a+b is an irrational number.
---

I don't think it can be expressed in a simpler form. You will need to know what rational and irrational numbers are.
The sum, difference, product, and quotient of
an irrational number and a nonzero rational are all irrational. I will be back with my work when I find two irrational numbers such that when added produce a sum that is rational and irrational.

DaveE said:

---

For a + b:

Irrational + Irrational = Rational

Let a = (1 - pi).

Let b = pi

a + b = (1 - pi) + pi

a + b = 1, which is rational.

Irrational + Irrational = Irrational

Let a = sqrt{2} = b

a + b = sqrt{2} + sqrt{2}

a + b = 2•sqrt{2}, which is Irrational.

Is this correct so far? If so, I will then move on to do the same for a•b, a/b l, and finally to a - b. I'll wait for your reply.

Likes Delta2 and DaveE
looks good to me!

DaveE said:
looks good to me!
Ok. I will work on the rest and come back when time allows.

Mark44 said:
The four parts of this question are pretty clearly stated. Perhaps you don't know what the terms "rational" and "irrational" in the context of numbers. Can you give a couple examples of rational numbers? A couple more of irrational numbers?

Let me do the a•b case.

Irrational • Irrational = Rational

Let a = sqrt{6} = b

a • b = sqrt{6} • sqrt{6}

a • b = sqrt{36}

a • b = 6, which is rational.

Irrational • Irrational = Irrational

Let a = sqrt{2}

Let b = sqrt{3}

a • b = sqrt{2} • sqrt{3}

a • b = sqrt{6}

You say?

nycmathguy said:
Let me do the a•b case.

Irrational • Irrational = Rational

Let a = sqrt{6} = b

a • b = sqrt{6} • sqrt{6}

a • b = sqrt{36}

a • b = 6, which is rational.

Let a = sqrt{2}

Let b = sqrt{3}

a • b = sqrt{2} • sqrt{3}

a • b = sqrt{6}

You say?
Yes to both.

Likes nycmathguy
Mark44 said:

Let me do the a/b case.

Irrational ÷ Irrational = Rational

Let a = 2pi

Let b = pi

a/b = 2pi/pi

a/b = 2, which is rational.

Let a = sqrt{2}

Let b = sqrt{3}

a/b = sqrt{2}/sqrt{3}

a/b = [sqrt{2}/sqrt{3}][sqrt{3}/sqrt{3}]

a/b = sqrt{6}/3, which is Irrational.

Yes?

DaveE said:

---

Let me do the a - b case.

Irrational - Irrational = Rational

Let a = (2 + 2pi)

Let b = -2pi

a - b = (2 + 2pi) - 2pi

a - b = 2, which is rational.

Yes?

Irrational - Irrational = Irrational

Let a = pi

Let b = e

a - b = pi - e, which is Irrational.

You say?

nycmathguy said:

Let a = sqrt{2}

Let b = sqrt{3}

a/b = sqrt{2}/sqrt{3}

a/b = [sqrt{2}/sqrt{3}][sqrt{3}/sqrt{3}]

a/b = sqrt{6}/3, which is Irrational.
You said your were doing the irrational * irrational case, but actually did the irrational / irrational case.

nycmathguy said:
Let me do the a - b case.

Irrational - Irrational = Rational

Let a = (2 + 2pi)

Let b = -2pi

a - b = (2 + 2pi) - 2pi

a - b = 2, which is rational.

Yes?
Yes, fine.

nycmathguy said:
Irrational - Irrational = Irrational

Let a = pi

Let b = e

a - b = pi - e, which is Irrational.

You say?
Right.

nycmathguy said:
Homework Statement:: Give an example of irrational numbers a
Relevant Equations:: None.

1. a +b

2. a•b

3. a/b

4. a - b

Thanks
At this level of mathematics ##+## and ##-## are essentially the same operation: subtracting a number is adding its additive inverse: $$a - b \equiv a + (-b)$$ Likewise, $$a/b \equiv a \cdot b^{-1}$$ Essentially, therefore, the same examples may be used for parts 1 & 4 and for parts 2 & 3.

Likes nycmathguy
PeroK said:
At this level of mathematics ##+## and ##-## are essentially the same operation: subtracting a number is adding its additive inverse: $$a - b \equiv a + (-b)$$ Likewise, $$a/b \equiv a \cdot b^{-1}$$ Essentially, therefore, the same examples may be used for parts 1 & 4 and for parts 2 & 3.
Good to know.

1. What are irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. They are non-terminating and non-repeating decimals, meaning they have an infinite number of decimal places without a pattern.

2. How are irrational numbers used in various expressions?

Irrational numbers are used in various mathematical expressions, such as in geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. They can also be used to represent physical quantities, such as the circumference of a circle or the diagonal of a square.

3. Can irrational numbers be written as fractions?

No, irrational numbers cannot be expressed as fractions because they have an infinite number of decimal places without a repeating pattern. However, they can be approximated by fractions with increasing accuracy.

4. What is the difference between rational and irrational numbers?

Rational numbers can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot. Rational numbers have a finite number of decimal places or a repeating pattern, while irrational numbers have an infinite number of decimal places without a pattern.

5. How are irrational numbers important in mathematics?

Irrational numbers play a crucial role in mathematics, as they help us understand the concept of infinity and the idea that there are numbers that cannot be fully expressed or understood. They also have many practical applications in fields such as science, engineering, and technology.