Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrational polynomial equation

1. Oct 19, 2007 #1
    what's the polynomial equation which sqrt2 + sqrt3 satisfies ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2007 #2
    How about x-sqrt2-sqrt3?

4. Oct 20, 2007 #3
    There is not one unique polynomial that (sprt2 + sqrt3) satisfies. Perhaps you should elaborate a bit as to what terms, degree, etc. that you require in your polynomial.

5. Oct 20, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And keep in mind that a polynomial is nothing more than a linear combination of monomials...

6. Oct 21, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

What about, [tex]x- \pi[/tex] ? or [tex]x^3 - 31[/tex] =] ?

7. Oct 21, 2007 #6
    If you want to get rid of the roots, then it'd be something like

[tex]x = \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex]
    [tex]x^{2} = 2+3+2\sqrt{6}[/tex]
    [tex]x^{2}-5 = 2\sqrt{6}[/tex]
    [tex](x^{2}-5)^{2} = 24[/tex]

Rearrange and clean up a bit.

8. Oct 21, 2007 #7
    yeah, i seems alright that way. well, i has to be polynomial, but i couldn't just go upto that part, so i was confused. thnx anyway :)

9. Oct 24, 2007 #8

EES

:confused:

10. Oct 24, 2007 #9
    Hurkyl: And keep in mind that a polynomial is nothing more than a linear combination of monomials...

From the standpoint of Galois Theory, we can build that form from the conjugates of the two order two equations, which produces an order 4 equation:

The four products of the form: [tex]\prod (X-(\pm\sqrt2\pm\sqrt3)[/tex] = X^4-10X^2+1.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  11. Oct 25, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would have been nice if you had posted the actual question. I suspect it was NOT "Find a polynomial equation that [itex]\sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{3}[/itex] satisfies". I suspect rather that it was something like "Find a polynomial equation, with integer coefficients, that [itex]\sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{3}[/itex] satisfies".

12. Oct 25, 2007 #11

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I'm just joking with you man, try it on yours calculator, [itex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/itex] is a valid approximation of pi to several digits. Similar thing for the other equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?