1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrational polynomial equation

1. Oct 19, 2007 #1
    what's the polynomial equation which sqrt2 + sqrt3 satisfies ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2007 #2
    How about x-sqrt2-sqrt3?

4. Oct 20, 2007 #3
    There is not one unique polynomial that (sprt2 + sqrt3) satisfies. Perhaps you should elaborate a bit as to what terms, degree, etc. that you require in your polynomial.

5. Oct 20, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And keep in mind that a polynomial is nothing more than a linear combination of monomials...

6. Oct 21, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

What about, [tex]x- \pi[/tex] ? or [tex]x^3 - 31[/tex] =] ?

7. Oct 21, 2007 #6
    If you want to get rid of the roots, then it'd be something like

[tex]x = \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex]
    [tex]x^{2} = 2+3+2\sqrt{6}[/tex]
    [tex]x^{2}-5 = 2\sqrt{6}[/tex]
    [tex](x^{2}-5)^{2} = 24[/tex]

Rearrange and clean up a bit.

8. Oct 21, 2007 #7
    yeah, i seems alright that way. well, i has to be polynomial, but i couldn't just go upto that part, so i was confused. thnx anyway :)

9. Oct 24, 2007 #8

EES

:confused:

10. Oct 24, 2007 #9
    Hurkyl: And keep in mind that a polynomial is nothing more than a linear combination of monomials...

From the standpoint of Galois Theory, we can build that form from the conjugates of the two order two equations, which produces an order 4 equation:

The four products of the form: [tex]\prod (X-(\pm\sqrt2\pm\sqrt3)[/tex] = X^4-10X^2+1.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  11. Oct 25, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would have been nice if you had posted the actual question. I suspect it was NOT "Find a polynomial equation that [itex]\sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{3}[/itex] satisfies". I suspect rather that it was something like "Find a polynomial equation, with integer coefficients, that [itex]\sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{3}[/itex] satisfies".

12. Oct 25, 2007 #11

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I'm just joking with you man, try it on yours calculator, [itex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/itex] is a valid approximation of pi to several digits. Similar thing for the other equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook