1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrational^rational = rational

1. Feb 16, 2014 #1
    Is it true that in some cases an irrational number raised to a rational power is rational? If so what kinds of irrational numbers?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2014 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Yes. For your first question note that √22 = 2. For your second question all number of this form should be algebraic.

Edit: As Mark44 pointed out below I need to add the caveat that the exponent be non-zero for my second claim to hold.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. Feb 16, 2014 #3

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

It's also worth pointing out that irrational to the irrational can be rational.

The Gelfond-Schneider theorem says: if ##a## and ##b## are algebraic, with ##a \neq 1,0## and ##b## irrational, then ##a^b## is transcendental.

This means that ##\sqrt{2}^{\sqrt{2}}## is transcendental (hence irrational). Raise this to the power of ##\sqrt{2}## and you get 2.

5. Feb 16, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A very simple example is ##\pi^0 = 1##.
    ##\pi## is irrational, and 0 is rational.

6. Mar 13, 2014 #5
    if the order of the root is say x, and the power you raise are multiples of x , then it becomes a rational number(or if the power is 0)
    example:√2^4=4

7. Mar 13, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note that the irrational number has to be algebraic. A transcendental number raised to a rational power cannot be rational. In fact, it must still be transcendental.

8. Mar 13, 2014 #7

DrClaude

Isn't there a contradiction here?

9. Mar 13, 2014 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think you just became a candidate for the Fields medal! :smile:

10. Mar 13, 2014 #9

DrClaude

No , I just became the candidate for another coffee!

Sorry Mark44, completely missed your humor there...

11. Mar 13, 2014 #10

Mark44

That was arildno...

12. Mar 13, 2014 #11

DrClaude

I thought you were trying to be funny by proposing the trivial case "to the power of 0". :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook