Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irreducible Components in a Primary Decomposition

1. Mar 8, 2007 #1
    Let R be a Noetherian Ring and I an ideal in R.

Let I = Q_1 n ... n Q_r = J_1 n ... n J_r be two primary decompositions of I.

How can I show the number of irreducible components in each decomposition is the same?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Firstly you shoulnd't have r on both sides of that equality. Secondly, you will need to know the definition of 'primary'. So what is it? What does it imply? Does this seem familiar to any other result you know? Is the result even true? (i.e. think about what a counter example might be and see where it fails to satisfy some hypothesis.)

4. Mar 8, 2007 #3
    Matt, thank you very much for your reply. Yes the result is true. I'm assuming all uniqueness theorems found in say, Dummit and Foote. I figured it would be easier to prove with some theory in place, hence why I have r on both sides. Whether I need this or not I don't know, but I figured it might make things easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  5. Mar 8, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point was that by writing r on both sides you were assuming the result you wanted to show. And you haven't written out the definition of primary/prime and what it implies in a Noetherian ring. The result will be deducible from the definitions, so what are the definitions? I gave you plenty of help and you ignored it all.

6. Mar 9, 2007 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i think you need also to assume the decompositions are irredundant, or it is not true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?