Irregular sculpture hanging from two thin vertical wires

  • Thread starter Thread starter guille1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Vertical Wires
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 8K views
guille1
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
i have been stuck on this question for two days, can anyone help!

A museum of modern art is displaying an irregular 358 N sculpture by hanging it from two thin vertical wires, A and B, that are 1.25 m apart . The center of gravity of this piece of art is located 48.0 cm from its extreme right tip.

YF-11-40.jpg


Find the tension in the wire A.

Find the tension in the wire B.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's like you have to say that since the object is in equilibrium, there are no external unbalanced forces or torques acting on the system. That means F=ma in the vertical direction (up is +ve) gives you Ta + Tb = << edited out by berkeman >> . Then, assigning counter-clockwise as +ve and using the center of gravity as the point about which to sum moments, you have Tau(net) = 0 = << edited out by berkeman >> . Now we have two equations and two unknowns. Not hard to solve from there. I think that's how you do it, but I'm still learning too, so I'm not sure. :shy: Just trying to help out as much I can. :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gyro said:
I think it's like you have to say that since the object is in equilibrium, there are no external unbalanced forces or torques acting on the system. That means F=ma in the vertical direction (up is +ve) gives you Ta + Tb = << edited out by berkeman >> . Then, assigning counter-clockwise as +ve and using the center of gravity as the point about which to sum moments, you have Tau(net) = 0 = << edited out by berkeman >> . Now we have two equations and two unknowns. Not hard to solve from there. I think that's how you do it, but I'm still learning too, so I'm not sure. :shy: Just trying to help out as much I can. :smile:

Thanks for the help, Gyro. Please remember to only provide hints on homework/coursework questions. We need to have the OP do the bulk of the work.
 
Gyro said:
I'm sorry about that. Won't happen again.

No worries. Even with the work deleted, you have still provided useful hints to the OP. Thanks.
 
Is this set up correct?

TA + TB - mg = 0 = Ttot (since the object is in equilibrium)

Im not wure where to go from here or if this is even right