Irreversible reaction in a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between an ideal battery and a real battery, with a focus on the chemical reaction that takes place inside. In an ideal battery, the reaction is reversible and occurs at equilibrium, while in a real battery, resistivity causes the reaction to be irreversible. The question posed is whether the reaction still occurs in both directions, but at different rates due to resistivity, or if it is a one-way reaction like combustion. The speaker also clarifies that although they are related, "reversible" and "at equilibrium" are two distinct concepts.
tonyjk
Hello,

Inside an ideal battery, the chemical reaction is reversible (at equilibrium), thus the oxydation-reduction reaction Zn + Cu2+ = Zn2+ + Cu is happening in both ways at the same rate right?

Now, for a real battery, there's resistivity inside it due to many factors, thus the chemical reaction is irreversible. My question is, during the irreversible reaction, is the reaction happening in both ways but at different rate due to resistivity inside the battery or it is just like the combustion reaction happening in one way?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Please elaborate. "Reversible" and "at equilibrium" are two different things, I don't see why you are mixing them.

Borek said:
Please elaborate. "Reversible" and "at equilibrium" are two different things, I don't see why you are mixing them.
Sorry but chemistry is not my domain. I thought that a chemical reaction at equilibrium thus it is a reversible reaction.

1. What is an irreversible reaction in a battery?

An irreversible reaction in a battery is a chemical reaction that cannot be reversed, meaning that it cannot be reversed by applying an external electric current. This is in contrast to a reversible reaction, which can be reversed by applying an external electric current.

2. How does an irreversible reaction affect the performance of a battery?

An irreversible reaction in a battery can decrease the performance of the battery over time. This is because the reactants used in the reaction are used up and cannot be replenished, leading to a decrease in the available energy and overall capacity of the battery.

3. What causes an irreversible reaction to occur in a battery?

An irreversible reaction in a battery can be caused by a variety of factors, such as the type of materials used in the battery, the conditions in which the battery is used, and the age of the battery. It can also be caused by the accumulation of byproducts from the reaction, which can interfere with the battery's function.

4. Can an irreversible reaction be prevented in a battery?

In some cases, an irreversible reaction in a battery can be prevented by using materials that are less prone to irreversible reactions, optimizing the design and conditions of the battery, and implementing proper maintenance and charging practices. However, in some cases, an irreversible reaction may be unavoidable due to the nature of the materials used in the battery.

5. How can the effects of an irreversible reaction be mitigated in a battery?

The effects of an irreversible reaction in a battery can be mitigated by regularly monitoring and maintaining the battery, using alternative materials and designs that are less prone to irreversible reactions, and implementing proper charging and usage practices. Additionally, implementing systems for recycling and disposing of batteries can also help mitigate the long-term effects of irreversible reactions on the environment.