Is 0.541r a Simple Fraction or Radian Measure?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gringo123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fraction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 8K views
Gringo123
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
What is 0.541r as a fraction? I have a feeling the answer won't be as simple as 541/1000.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Write it as a sum of 0.541+0.000541+0.000000541+... and use the geometric series.
 
Thanks Cyosis. I see that the answer would be 541/999.
 
Gringo123 said:
What is 0.541r as a fraction? I have a feeling the answer won't be as simple as 541/1000.

Hi,
I was taught what I consider a really neat trick for writing recurring decimals as fractions(supernerdy) and thought I'd share it. :D

let x = 0.54154141...
1000x=541.541541...
1000x-x=541
999x=541
x=541/999
0.541...=541/999
:D

It's probably easier to use Cyosis' method though :D
 
.aaaaaaaaaaaa ... = a/9
.abababababab ... = ab/99 (ab is not multiplication, simply the digits)
.abcabcabcabcabc ... = abc/999 (again, not multiplication between a b and c)

and so on
 
0.541r could also be interpreted as radian measure. In which case it might be an approximation of 0.54105 20681 18242 1 = 31 π / 180, or an angle of 31 degrees.
 
[tex] \begin{array}{rclr}<br /> x & = & 0.(541) & \. /\cdot 1000 \ (\mathrm{because \, the \, period \, is \, 3 \, decimal \, places \, long}) \\<br /> <br /> 1000 x & = & 541.(541) & <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

Subtract the two equations. What happens to the decimal part? Then solve for x and you should get your answer in a form of a fraction.
 
Glenn L said:
0.541r could also be interpreted as radian measure. In which case it might be an approximation of 0.54105 20681 18242 1 = 31 π / 180, or an angle of 31 degrees.
Yes, it could but given the title of this thread, that is extremely unlikely.