Is $10^a\lt 127$ True for the Real Root of $x^3-3x-3=0$?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter anemone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cubic Root
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Messages
3,851
Reaction score
115
Given $a$ is the real root for $x^3-3x-3=0$, prove that $10^a\lt 127$.
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Given $a$ is the real root for $x^3-3x-3=0$, prove that $10^a\lt 127$.
my solution:
let $f(x)=x^3-3x-3$
$f(2.10351)<0,f(2.10381)>0$
there is a real solution "a" satisfying $2.10351<a<2.10381$
but $log 127\approx 2.10381$
$\therefore 10^a<127$
 
Last edited:
anemone said:
Given $a$ is the real root for $x^3-3x-3=0$, prove that $10^a\lt 127$.

$$a=2\cosh\left(\dfrac13\cosh^{-1}\left(\dfrac32\right)\right)=\left(\dfrac{3+\sqrt5}{2}\right)^{1/3}+\left(\dfrac{3-\sqrt5}{2}\right)^{1/3}<\log(127)$$

...but I don't have proof. :(
 
I made a silly blunder...I thought I solved this problem elegantly and so I posted this problem as a challenge...and now that the time has come for me to post my solution, I realize my solution doesn't work. (Angry):o

I have to admit this and I will continue to work on this problem and hopefully, I can crack using a different method than Albert's (thanks Albert for participating) and perhaps work on the idea provided by greg1313.
 
My solution:

It will suffice to show that:

$$a<\log(127)$$

If we define:

$$f(x)=x^3-3x-3$$

A quick sign check shows us:

$$f(2)=2^3-3(2)-3=-1$$

$$f(3)=3^3-3(3)-3=15$$

So, we know $2<a<3$...and since $10^2<127<10^3$, we also know $2<\log(127)<3$. And so, we may begin the continued fraction representation of each by stating:

$$a\approx[2;\cdots]$$

$$\log(127)\approx[2;\cdots]$$

For the purpose of continuing the computation of the continued fraction representation of $\log(127)$, we will use:

$$\log(127)=2+\log(1.27)$$

To get the next partial quotient for $a$, we will make the substitution:

$$x=\frac{1}{x_1}+2$$

and we then find:

$$f_1\left(x_1\right)=x_1^3f\left(\frac{1}{x_1}+2\right)=x_1^3\left(\left(\frac{2x_1+1}{x_1}\right)^3-3\left(\frac{2x_1+1}{x_1}\right)-3\right)=-x_1^3+9x_1^2+6x_1+1$$

We then observe:

$$f_1(9)=55$$

$$f_1(10)=-39$$

And so we have:

$$a\approx[2;9,\cdots]$$

And using the iterative method outlined >>here<<, we confirm that:

$$1.27^9<10<1.27^{10}$$

Hence:

$$\log(127)\approx[2;9,\cdots]$$

So, we find the next partial quotient for $a$:

$$f_2\left(x_2\right)=x_2^3f_1\left(\frac{9x_2+1}{x_2}\right)=x_2^3\left(-\left(\frac{9x_2+1}{x_2}\right)^3+9\left(\frac{9x_2+1}{x_2}\right)^2+6\left(\frac{9x_2+1}{x_2}\right)+1\right)=55x_2^3-75x_2^2-18x_2-1$$

We find:

$$f_2(1)=-39$$

$$f_2(2)=103$$

Thus:

$$a\approx[2;9,1,\cdots]$$

And we then confirm:

$$\left(\frac{10}{1.27^9}\right)^1<1.27<\left(\frac{10}{1.27^9}\right)^2$$

Hence:

$$\log(127)\approx[2;9,1,\cdots]$$

Continuing this process, we eventually find:

$$a\approx[2;9,1,1,1,2,1,\cdots]$$

$$\log(127)\approx[2;9,1,1,1,2,4,\cdots]$$

And so we may now conclude:

$$a<\log(127)$$
 
Awesome, MarkFL!(Yes):cool: