Is 300eV the Correct Mean Photon Energy for a Black Body at 1 Million K?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Orion78
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Photon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Orion78
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I have calculate that the mean approximate photon energy of a black-body spectrum which is emitted by an object at a temperature of 1 million K is 300eV. Can somebody confirm me that? My second doubt is: the wavelength at which this spectrum reaches a peak corresponds to a "longer" or to a "shorter" wavelength than that of the black-body spectrum emitted by the sun?
Many thanks
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I did not do any calculation about the sun but think that the spectrum of solar radiation is close to that of a black body with a temperature of circa 5,800 K and so the mean approximate photon energy is 1.74eV. If that so, are the wavelength at which this spectrum of the object at at a temperature of 1 million K that reaches a peak corresponds to a much shorter wavelength than that of the black-body spectrum emitted by the sun?
 
300eV-photons have a shorter wavelength than 1.74eV-photons.
The numbers are in a region where I would expect them, but I did not calculate them.
 
Yes, the peak is a much shorter wavelength than the Sun emits. Do you know much about EM radiation and black body radiation?