1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a Grade of B- in Analysis II the end of my aspirations .?

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    Is a Grade of B- in Analysis II the end of my aspirations.....?

Hello all!

I'm hoping to apply to a Ph.D program in Applied Math. Would a B- in Analysis II be a game killer? I got a B+ in Analysis I, A in Algebra, A- in Probability Theory, and etc.

Would any here recommend that I change this to a Pass/Fail option?

Any and all helpful comments are welcome. Snarky repliers can play in traffic.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2
    Re: Is a Grade of B- in Analysis II the end of my aspirations.....?

Depends where you want to go. I would say that you'll be fine for most schools as long as your overall GPA is high.

Are you in a BSc program? If so, it's not a killer. You could do a MSc in Applied Math and get A's, and no one would care about your undergraduate scores when you apply for the PhD.

Another way to deal with the issue is to take the class again. Your university may not let you. But you could take it somewhere else over the summer.

Then, in your application for a PhD, you would write the following: "I was so disappointed with my score in Analysis I and Analysis II that I took it again to make sure I had a solid grounding in it."

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3

changeseeker - Thanks a bunch for your comments. What you say certainly has merit.

5. Aug 22, 2009 #4

I got a C- in one math class during undergrad. I was thinking about retaking it - my school would average the grades. My advisor asked me if I would actually learn anything new by retaking it. I wouldn't have... it was just an issue with one of the exams really. If you do well on future math classes one outlier grade isn't going to kill you. As long as you have something to talk about besides just your gpa, one bad grade will be excused (bad here is relative of course).

If you retake the course are you giving up taking an extra math class you'd actually learn something new from? I'd go for the extra class before retaking the same one. It's more impressive than retaking the same class, even if it doesn't influence your gpa as much.

Add a note: "I was disappointed with my grade in Analysis II so I took (upper level course X) as an elective to solidify my skills while expanding my depth of knowledge."

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  6. Aug 25, 2009 #5

kote, thanks for sharing your experience. I like your philosophy and I dig what you said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook