Having an A- average in upper division physics course

In summary, the individual is a rising senior who is about to apply for grad school. They have had a rough year academically, with a decline in overall grades and not doing well in three core major courses. However, they have excelled in other advanced courses and their current GPA is 3.7. They plan to take more advanced courses in the fall and are aiming for mid-tier schools. They have limited research experience but have a SULI internship and strong recommendation letters. They are seeking honest feedback and acknowledge the impact of the pandemic on their academic performance.
IDontHaveAName
Hello, all I'm a rising senior who's about to apply for grad school. However, this year has been a rough year for me as my overall grade has declined a bit, especially in that I did not do well in 3 core major courses: mechanics B and EM II I got a B and STAT MECH B+(sadly, I thought i deserved much better grades b/c I feel like i know more than my peers who got better grades). My QM, RELATIVITY, WAVE/OPTICS, and EM I(yes this is considered pretty advanced courses at my uni) have straight A's , so no A-. As of now, my GPA stands at a solid 3.7. In the coming fall I will be taking more advanced courses: QM II and atomic physics which I have a strong feeling that i can get A's on(since its back in person and QM is the only course I enjoyed over this year)

The issue with me is that prepandemic my grades looks solid, pretty much stem courses all A's , at worse, A-'s . BUt after pandemic, my motivaiton just went down a deep hill and so I did not put much effort. In fact, I decided to overload my classes(exceeds credit limit) myself at the worst time possible. Never mind my bad decision, I know I will have practically no chance for top-tier, so I'm trying to shoot for mid-tier. Perhaps top 20-40.

With regards to my research, I did got into SULI this summer which I will be performing some data anlaysis and I heard they are in the process of making a paper. But that's really about it, also performing data analysis is a bit underwhealming for me since I came from a strong programming BG. I do not have any other solid research other than doing some independent projects working with lasers. But I do have 2 solid recommendation letter ready , with one of them a leader in the fields of AMO physics that I'm applying to.

I would love to hear some honest feedback.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
The pandemic has hit everyone hard. Don't be too hard on yourself. You're not in a bad spot.

Avoid focusing on a graduate school's "tier" and focus more on what you're likely to get out of the program, what project you'll be working on, the people you'll be working with, and how well that school fits in with the lifestyle you enjoy.

Likes CalcNerd and Vanadium 50

1. What does an A- average in upper division physics courses indicate?

An A- average in upper division physics courses typically indicates that a student has a strong understanding of advanced physics concepts and is able to apply them effectively in coursework and exams. It also suggests that the student is dedicated and has put in a significant amount of effort to achieve this level of academic success.

2. How can I maintain an A- average in upper division physics courses?

To maintain an A- average in upper division physics courses, it is important to attend all classes and actively participate in discussions and group work. It is also crucial to stay organized and keep up with assignments and readings. Seeking help from professors or tutors when needed can also be beneficial.

3. Is an A- average in upper division physics courses necessary for a career in physics?

While an A- average in upper division physics courses is certainly impressive and can open up many opportunities, it is not necessarily a requirement for a successful career in physics. Other factors, such as research experience and strong letters of recommendation, can also play a significant role in career advancement.

4. How does an A- average in upper division physics courses compare to other grades?

An A- average in upper division physics courses is considered to be a very good grade, as it falls within the range of 3.67-3.99 on a 4.0 scale. This is higher than the average GPA for most undergraduate programs, which is typically around 3.0.

5. Can I still get into graduate school with an A- average in upper division physics courses?

Yes, an A- average in upper division physics courses is certainly competitive for graduate school admissions. However, it is important to note that admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors, such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and entrance exam scores, in addition to GPA.